• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bumper Markings

Srjeeper

Need some help with the bumper markings on my duce, please.

Left side...... ECS 27 under that A 20 . Right side 77 C- R .

I'd also like to know where to find info on these units once identified?

Thank you,
Bill

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The vehicle belonged to a unit within the 77th Reserve Readiness Command headquartered at Fort Totten, New York (NY City). Key point is that it was from one of their units which means it could have come from anywhere in NY or NJ. The ECS27 tells me the vehicle was stored in the Equipment Concentration Site #27 located at Fort Dix, NJ. The ECS acts like a storage facility since reserve units aren't staffed or funded to maintain all of their equipment at their home station.

The A20 is vehicle #20 within A Company.

I would need the serial number and/or registration number to tell you more.

Srjeeper

medlog said:
The vehicle belonged to a unit within the 77th Reserve Readiness Command headquartered at Fort Totten, New York (NY City). Key point is that it was from one of their units which means it could have come from anywhere in NY or NJ. The ECS27 tells me the vehicle was stored in the Equipment Concentration Site #27 located at Fort Dix, NJ. The ECS acts like a storage facility since reserve units aren't staffed or funded to maintain all of their equipment at their home station.

The A20 is vehicle #20 within A Company.

I would need the serial number and/or registration number to tell you more.

Thanks Medlog for the info, Where do you go to get it? As for the other numbers, the truck has been repainted so they are covered for now. I'll get the serial & reg# tomorrow.

Thanks again.

neil2007

medlog said:
Army bumper numbers are just by experience. Sorry, I can't dilvulge where I get the other info.
Does that "other info" tell you anything about Chanute, AFB Il.? I'm looking for info on what unit my 530B Fire Truck would have been stationed with during the '60's. Unfortunately, I do not have any bumper or hood/door numbers because they were already partially or fully in some cases sanded off when one of the post-service volunteer Fire Departments repainted it.

I'm thinking that it was the 3496 Air Training Command HQ ('50-'58) but I'm not knowledgeable enough yet to be able to figure out the bumper number from that (or at least part of the number...I know the actual vehicle number is gonna really only be able to be found on the vehicle or in a photo if I happen upon one...) I know that it was purchased for '54. It should have a door number of "54L xxxxx" .

It's Manufacturer serial number is 130978

Any info on this would be appreciated!

Thanks for your time!

Neil

ems4ty

medlog, would you be able to tell anything about USMC numbers? My bumper and hood shows USMC 1383***.

Data Plate on dash shows: Stock # G2742-8358***, MFR. SER. No. ******. Mfg. 1953 by Reo.

Any info would help... I inquired before and was told, "Good Luck." So, I'm not expecting much, just hopeful.

Thanks,

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
ems4ty,

The info I have shows it did not belong to the Marines. Here's what I found

2320008358464 M35 W/W 122484 4A03355 WQUCB0 1955
540 CS BN CO B TMT California National Guard out of BELL, CALIFORNIA

Neil2007,
I don't have anything on it. Probably was let go before the data came on-line.

ems4ty

Thanks for the reply Medlog. Can you explain what some of that means and how should it show on the truck? My tailgate, front bumper and hood show "USMC 1383429"

If it was from the National Gaurd, did they use different markings? I'm trying to find out if the truck is marked wrong. Also, not really sure what "******** WQUCB0" means.

Is 1955 the date of manufacturer which would indicate that my data plate that is stamped 1953 is wrong?

And finally, what does "540 CS BN CO B TMT" indicate? All of which is a bit foreign to me.

I really appreciate knowing some of the history behind this truck as the guy that I bought it from stated that it was parked at Camp Pendleton in CA and never left the states because it was a gasser...

Thanks again,

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Not sure what the deal is. First need to verify the truck you have is a M35 with winch (w/w). There should be a national stock number of 2320008358464. Any national stock number should start off 2320-something. 2320 is the federal supply class for trucks and has been for a long, long, long (and did I stress LONG) time.

If your serial number is 122484, that is what the database returned. The database states the registration number for that serial number is 4A03355 built in 1955. Sometimes the data is input wrong. It happens but it is rare.

540 CS BN CO B TMT California National Guard out of BELL, CALIFORNIA is Company B, 540th Main Support Battalion, 40th Armor Brigade. B Company in an MSB is a Maintenance Company.

As with anything, this is a database subject to human error.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
This truck is older than the 2320 supply class - the G2742 - is what predated that - the "742" is the Standard Nomenclature List number. 122484 is a legit Reo VIN (mfrs serial) numberfrom 1953 from contract DA-20-089 ORD 8126FS. Your best bet is to check the number stamped in the frame rail near the front wheel, make sure it has the same VIN number. The records I've located/assembled from this time frame are not useful with regard to registration numbers.

On the dashboard should be a "responsible agency" plate - who does it state is the responsible agency.

Regards,
David Doyle

ems4ty

Where would I find the NSN number? All the numbers I posted earlier came from the data plate that states at the top: Weight & Dimension Data - Truck, Cargo 2 1/2 Ton, 6X6, M35W/WN Identification Data.

That data plate also says, Model OC-54, Cont. No. DA-20-089 ORD. 8126FS.

The "Inspected" field is blank.

There is another data plate on the dash that states: Overhauled, MCSC Barstow CA, 4-27-64, ODOM 20443

Found a triangle tab on the drivers seat stating: MWO Applied 9-2320-200-354 on 4-27-90

The cargo bed data plate shows: Stock # G742-*******

Anywhere else I should look for?

BTW - I did see "********" on the driver door access panel.

DDoyle - The Responsible Agency Data Plate is Shown as follows:

Responsible Agency Procurement Depot Maintenance
Chassis ORD Dept. ORD Dept.
Body ORD Dept. ORD Dept.
MTD Equip. BLANK BLANK

Also found on the drivers side frame rail by the front tire, "******" and above that to the right another number starting off with: 2061..... The rest of the number is covered by the mounting bracket for the steering box.

Thanks again,

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
ems4ty said:
Where would I find the NSN number?
There is another data plate on the dash that states: Overhauled, MCSC Barstow CA, 4-27-64, ODOM 20443

Found a triangle tab on the drivers seat stating: MWO Applied 9-2320-200-354 on 4-27-90

The cargo bed data plate shows: Stock # G742-7416336

Anywhere else I should look for?

BTW - I did see "04A03355" on the driver door access panel.

DDoyle - The Responsible Agency Data Plate is Shown as follows:

Responsible Agency Procurement Depot Maintenance
Chassis ORD Dept. ORD Dept.
Body ORD Dept. ORD Dept.
MTD Equip. BLANK BLANK

Also found on the drivers side frame rail by the front tire, "122484" and above that to the right another number starting off with: 2061..... The rest of the number is covered by the mounting bracket for the steering box.

Thanks again,
Your truck is too old to have a NSN - the truck is older than that system - that is what I was trying to say earlier. The G2742 is part of the system that was in place before the NSN. The number on the frame confirms that the data plate has not been swapped. It is interesting that the truck was bought by the army (as confirmed by the "ORD Dept") and was at least once maintained by the Marines (in 1964). But - the 04A03355 is definately an army registration number (which for the past several years has been painted on the inside of the doors).

My bet is the previous civilan owner wanted a USMC truck and painted the outside that way, but didn't repaint the inside.

My .02,
David Doyle

ems4ty

Cool. That sheds a bit light on the subject for me. Do you know if the truck is supposed to have any markings on the outside, such as on the bumper or hood? If so, what should it say? I'm trying to get the markings back to what it should be. My next thing after this is to find out if there was any particular color scheme in place. Such as all olive drab with the Star on the doors, or camo colored, etc...

Thanks for all of the input!

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
to get the most accurate info - post a photo of the outside of the truck, as well as the cab interior - we can then fix you up.

DD

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Since the interior paint and the exterior differ so dramatically, I'll stick with my earlier theory that a previous civilan owner wanted a USMC truck and painted the outside that way, but didn't repaint the inside.

That being said, in 1953 US Army trucks were a semi-gloss OD with white markings. The manual for this is available for free on this website - its something like TB9-746-93-1 or such.

The Army registration number, which would have appeared on the hood and rear of the truck is the 04A03355.

You may want to get opinion from others before breaking out the paint.

Regards,
David Doyle

ems4ty

That is fantastic. The engine compartment is a dark green color, Not sure if its OD Green or Olive Drab. I like the solid color look with the White Paint Markings and that's what I was hoping was original. I'll look out for the TM's you stated above. If anyone else also has any feedback, that would be appreciated as well. I'm looking into repainting the exterior to what I believe is the original green paint in the engine compartment...

Thanks again David and Medlog!

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ems4ty said:
That is fantastic. The engine compartment is a dark green color, Not sure if its OD Green or Olive Drab. I like the solid color look with the White Paint Markings and that's what I was hoping was original. I'll look out for the TM's you stated above. If anyone else also has any feedback, that would be appreciated as well. I'm looking into repainting the exterior to what I believe is the original green paint in the engine compartment...

Thanks again David and Medlog!
That's what I'm doing right now. My truck is at the paint shop. I'm going with the color green that the truck was in 1971. I'm using the green from the engine compartment as my guide. I am also going with the white markings. Partly because of era for the truck, but also for higher visibility in parades, etc.

67Beast

Hey medlog, any ideas on some of the history on this truck, 1967 M35 wo/w Ser# 012534271 with reg # of 4K8941. It had bumper #s of 2 107 CAV and HQ 79. I know that the 2/107 Cav is part of the Ohio National Guard and that it was at headquarters company as truck 79. But the truck was in Europe for a time as it has a Kaiserslautern Maintinace Center tag from 10/89 and the European lollypop lights on it. Here are a few picks of those items.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks