• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bumper Markings

major519

Can someone tell me what the correct color is for the background for bumper markings? Looks like sand to me but a proper Mil-spec paint would really help me out.
My recently purchased M1009 has had the bumpers painted over, not sure if the original markings are even under the paint without sanding it out.
Looking for specs as to font type and size as well as the correct nomenclature to depict my vehicle with proper markings.
Also, is there any way to co-relate the serial number to a specific unit?
Thanks Chris

Russm

carc substitute paint:
http://www.rapcoparts.com/manuals.html

spraypaint case of 12 was enough to do a whole m1009 if youre wondering how much it covers

google some closeups of the unit markings should give you some idea if you want to do a specific one
i found a guide:
https://olive-drab.com/od_mvg_markings.php

google "TB_43-0209" will give you the correct color scheme for whatever you want to do

Last edited:

fasttruck

The Army does not use manufacturer's VIN numbers for record keeping purposes. A registration number is assigned upon receipt and stays with the vehicle until it is surplused out. Back in the day the registration numbers were painted on the sides of the hood. When camouflage paint came in they would be stenciled on the inside of the doors or the map compartment. The US property plate may also include the registration number.

Justascout

The background was whatever was available, sand, OD or Forrest green with contrasting letters. The font was usually the 3” stencil kit you got from supply. There was no magic to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most were done in the standard Carc Sand. With black letters. How ever that is not the way the TM says to do it. It was the lazy way! Which most of us did. The official way is in the TM and it says what color to change the letters to based on the back ground.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Used to be to a certain extent, but that info is no longer available.

Unless you find unit bumper markings, you may never know it’s recent history.
Some guys were lucky and found maint. paperwork in their trucks after auction.

To know the trucks entire history, you’ll need a time machine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks