• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Burma Jeep, Ford GTB, G622

dionmtn

It depends on it's use. My Burma jeep has a cargo bed and was in the army so it is lusterless OD green of WW2 color. It's engine is the same grey that was used in Ford GPW or in other words too the tractor grey of the time. If you need paint numbers I can get them for you.

dozenjeeps

burma jeep

I may have found a bed that will work , so I may go the way of making a cool looking parade vehicle that is not up to a purists view of a Burma jeep.. If I go this route, I may have the tube that goes on top of the engine for the wires for sale, as I can use the money to buy the tires I need to drive it as the originals look tough and I would not go on the highway with them!!! I would think the tube would be worth 1/2 the cost of one tire.....

dionmtn

I may have found a bed that will work , so I may go the way of making a cool looking parade vehicle that is not up to a purists view of a Burma jeep.. If I go this route, I may have the tube that goes on top of the engine for the wires for sale, as I can use the money to buy the tires I need to drive it as the originals look tough and I would not go on the highway with them!!! I would think the tube would be worth 1/2 the cost of one tire.....

I have 4 tires that I've taken off mine. I bought new ones for the outside appearance but I also intend to drive mine quite a bit. The ones I took off are dry rotted some, some cracks but not too serious. I could have used them but I figured if I were going to drive it a lot then I'd rather just go with new tires. They are quite pricy, for 4 I gave $1080.00. I think that they are very expensive because of so few made and the demand so low, or perhaps it's just because they can get it.

Anyhow, I have a tube for the spark plug wires already. I gave $15.00 for it. I was quite surprised at the price but thankful too. The tube I have is for an engine that has the distributor in the front of the engine, the engine I have has the distributor on the drivers side 60% aft. I don't know if I have a true engine or not, maybe someone will enlighten me if I don't but it seems to be original and I've already made it new.

If the tube you have will work on an engine that has a side distributor then let me know. My email is dionmtn@yahoo.com I will sell you a couple of tires if you want to use the ones I have. I do believe they would do, but I'm very hyper about tires. I know they will be fine for parades and such if you put the shiny stuff on them!

Write me back if you have a tube that fits. Or want the tires.:driver:

jzimm999

ORignal GTB engines were only G series Fords with the front mounted distributor. It seems you can make almost any straight six fit as I've seen Chevy, Dodge and other Ford engines installed. I just got done with the machine shop work on my original flathead and I can see why a lot of them were removed for a newer engine. If you are not going for 100 percent orignal, I'd stick with a more modern engine.

dionmtn

Hi, Bill, guess I would be interested in the passenger seat when you get some done... as of now I do not know how far I am going to go on this... I have close to a dozen jeeps and need to decide what is being kept and what isn't... thanks...
I found a seat base on Ebay. Just out of the blue. The guy selling it didn't know what it was and I didn't either, it looked like it would work. The canvass I got from the canvass mfg fit it perfectly. Now, I have a rear seat frame I'd bought to cut down that is for a GPW or MB. If you know anyone who need it, I don't any longer.rofl

wmmscott

All of the GTB's were lusterless olive drab when they left the factory and stayed the same until after they were commissioned. When they entered service, the Navy painted most of them gray or gray-blue after that. I have heard that the Navy wanted their vehicles to match their battleships. I thought the grey was to match the water ?

The exact colors for the engines are truly debatable. There are true engine color numbers, but those colors do not exist today. Most of them translate to "Ford engine grey". However documentation shows that Ford used whatever they had at the time, and . . . Tom Wolboldt has the true grit on the colors.

wmmscott

On the other subject of modifying the GTB's by adding another kind of bed, etc. I am not a purist, but I believe that since these vehicles are so rare, I hate to see them modified for other uses. That is just my opinion.

metalshaper

Just got back to following the GTB thread. While deep into the restoration of my GTB Bomb Service truck, I decided to move to a new location and am just getting back into the restoration. I will try to get some photos of my completed engine if I can figure out how to load them on this site. Just noticed that I am missing the engine oil dipstick and tube off of the original G series engine, so if anyone has one of them laying around I sure can use it. More to follow.

wmmscott

Gtb

A really good source for whaqt was found for my truck is Jerry Denny at
Raccoon Creek Restorations in Georgetown, IN. Hi did just about all of the work on mine. His number can be found in the classifieds of the Supply Line or you can write a personal not to me and I'll give it to you.

Also, I had some extra brackets made for the rear tail ligts on the bomb truck if you need any.

metalshaper

thanks for the lead, I will check for parts there. Do you have an original engine in your GTB? Running the original distributor? If so, what did you use for a cap and rotor. I know something interchanges with the original distributor but lost my notes on that so any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Bri1969

Ford GTB aka Burma Jeep

For those who like the Ford GTB

My mother-in-Law is cleaning up her Texas farm and looking to sell off some old vehicles and has one of these Ford GTB Burma Jeeps.

Please let me know if anyone is interested in buying this vehicle. I posted some pictures on Photobucket. Below is the link.

http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o55/bri1969/Ford%20GTB%20Burma%20Jeep/

It was my Wife's Grandfathers, he brought it to the Texas farm in the early 1950's and it has sat there ever since. There is no title. I can take more pictures if you like, just tell me the areas you would like to see more of. She could not tell me much more about it. I can add them to the photobucket.
Looking to sell for a fair price, not trying to get rich. This Ford will need a lot work.
Thanks,
Bri1969

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Once you get a price, please move to the F/S in the classifieds, NO F/S ads allowed in the forum as stated in the SITE RULES that YOU just AGREEDED to. :roll:
Ron, Classifieds Mod [thumbzup]

42GTB

I hope I don't sound like a broken record, but I'm new to this site and wondering if finding a replacement bed for my '42 GTB is possible. My grandpa left me his Burma when he passed, and I really hope to get it running again someday. He used it on our farm as a farm truck, so the bed went through quite a lot of fabrication to make it more useful. If anyone has any info or suggestions on where I should start, I would really appreciate them. Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks