• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Burma Jeep, Ford GTB, G622

oklaroadrunner

Ok where do i start? I need to find out what kind of wood they used for the side boards. The battery box bottom is gone and don't know if it was metal or wood.
i haven't pulled it back in to try and start it up. But, it did run last year before fall.

jzimm999

My battery box is all metal, but not totally sure if it is original. I would think you could use any kind of wood for the side boards if you are painting them. I used ash on my wc-63, but oak on my M-37.

saddamsnightmare

March 24th, 2010.

MAddawg308:

"You're a poet, although you don't know it, your feet show it, they're Longfellows!":grin:

For the rest of you gents, the GTB Ford truck is a very cool item, and they used to be seen around here and there, usually converted to farm or industrial trucks, no one ever thought of them too much as historic, they were what was available, cheap. The restored ones have a certain elecgance to them, in a most spartan way, but the fact that Ford used a 6 cylinder engine, for which it was not then hugely known, is an interesting side line. The pure cargo versions do seem to be rarer in the states, but the versions with the bomb hoists seemed to have been more common.;-) I am fairly certain there were more then a few Generals who were loathed by their own men, Col. Dixon S. Miles, who surrended Harpers ferry to the Confederates on September 15th, 1862 (The largest capture of American troops by an enemy until Bataan and Corregidor in WWII) was mortally wounded before the surrender, one cannon crew from Vermont claimed to have done it, though their gun was not in the right spot to do the job.......

Keep us posted on your restoration work,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan[thumbzup]

dozenjeeps

navy bomb truck Ford

I am picking up the Ford version of the Burma jeep this week from a farmer that used it for hauling grain... has a box on the back but the cab and front seem to be all there with the winch and it works.. need to find a manual and more information on it to try and restore...

Dave08

I have located a Burma Jeep and it is a US Navy Bomb Truck. The owner wants to sell and states that it runs and has a clear title. I do not know what he is asking for it but I told him that I would put the word out to my fellow SS Members. He has a lot of parts with it and the original winch. If you are interested then I can mediate with him for you. I promised that I would not give out his contact information unless he says it is alright. If someone like Burma84 or oklaroadrunner are interested or know of someone who is, just let me know and we can go from there.
Dave08

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the heads up on that - there is a lot of the original Burma jeep still there, the big deal is the rear bomb hoist and gear. Someone save it!

wmmscott

GTBC Bomb Service Truck

I am attaching a before and after picture of my 1943 Ford GTBC Bomb Service Truck. You can see tat it was a real junker. The only reason I decided to restore it was that it had all of the winches, hoists, and the wrecker frame. I hd the most trouble finding the trolley winch on the passenger side of the I-beam.

I do have tons of pictures of it during the complete rebuild of it if they will help anyone. I'd need an address,as they will only fit on a CD. I also have a copy of some drawings for the flooring, and some other stuff. They were made by Bob Brown.

The pics on the last fellows entry showed some fenders in the foreground. I guess he knows that they are not the right ones?

I had such a hard time finding body parts for my GTB that I eventually found a guy locally that made new ones for me- exactly like the originals. He would make more if there is a need.

He is now making me some tail light brackets for a friend and I will have them soon. He is looking into the probable cost of making rear fenders. He can dimple them, too. They may not be affordable to remake.

He can make battery covers, drivers side steps, and most anything else. Another local fellow, who is now retired, made me a new tool box. I'm sure this guy can do it,too. I know nothing about prices as yet.

I am looking for an original passenger seat, no matter the condition. Mine is very close, but not perfect. If I can find one, then he can duplicate it. He can also make top bows.

I'd need to see who is interested before I start taking parts off of my restored truck to have him duplicate them.

Bill

Attachments

dozenjeeps

burma jeep

IF that Burma Jeep with the hoist is in Florida, thats pretty far from me, as I am 30 miles from Green Bay Packer country... still waiting to pick up my Burma as the farmer is still to busy for me to pick it up.... will be looking for the parts I need when I pick it up and know for sure what I need... craig

Dave08

"The pics on the last fellows entry showed some fenders in the foreground. I guess he knows that they are not the right ones?"

I actually have no idea whether they are the right ones or not. John, the guy that owns the vehicle and wants to sell states that they came off the vehicle and are original. I am not knowledgeable enough to argue the point. I am trying to help him get the word our that it is available for sale with a clean title and all the parts he has with it; did I mention that it actually runs?
There it is and it is in Florida.
Dave08

wmmscott

The original fenders were smooth all over and had "dimples" or raised grooves on the back end of the fender.

Also, be careful with the engine. Mine had a "civillian" straight 6 Ford engine in it, with the distributor on the rear of the engine. It poked through a hole somene made in the engine cover.

The military engine has the distributor on the front.

dozenjeeps

burma jeep

I picked up my Burma jeep today, I am in need of a manual or where to buy one, a passenger seat also but thats like hens teeth I suppose... its raining today and after unloading it I will try to post some pics of it... she does have a Braden winch and dual tires .... just frame from the cab back, but solid with the pintle hitch...
I live in Wisconsin and if anybody has some parts they want to part with I would love to buy them...
May consider trying to find a trailer to use as the bed on the truck so I can use it as a parade vehicle to haul the older vets around on... I use my M-37 now but this would be much cooler being its from 1943...
appreciate any help out there.....

wmmscott

GTB restoration and making parts

I recently restored a 1943 Ford GTB Bomb Service Truck. If you are also doing so, you are aware of the difficulty in finding parts for them as they are an unusual vehicle and there are not enough of them around for most of the big companies to make parts for them that are unique to those trucks. I hate to see people go through the same frustrations I did.

I'm working with a few people, local (not foreign countries) to make some parts for the Ford GTB vehicles. GTB owners really have very few sources for the parts that are exclusive to them.

Things are starting slowly, as you would imagine, so I am starting with some of the most needed parts as a result of the many phone calls I have received since completing mine. When I restored my Bomb Service Truck, many parts were missing or severely damaged. I made my passenger seat from drawings supplied by another MVPA member. We later found that the drawings were mostly accurate, but left out some details.

I also made my top bow set from the remnants of the one on my truck and used other drawings to make up the rest. It is also not absolutely correct. I had to make the rear tail light brackets, too. They are correct, and very difficult to make. I have a few extra sets of them.

I also made a new tool box, the metal one. It is exactly correct. I even drilled holes in the top just like the other original ones I have seen, but have no idea what they were for.

These machinist friends of mine also made me a wheel for my chain hoist that rides on the I-beam. It is much better than the original. It just tells you what they can do.

I finally borrowed an original passenger seat from John Zimmernam. Friends of mine who are machinists are now measuring it and are going to reproduce it. I do not yet know the cost for them and won't until they make one. They will make several of them.

I am looking for some help. I need to find an original top bow set for both the bomb truck and the cargo truck. I will gladly return them to the owner. I'm sure that the one I made for myself has some little details that are incorrect, and I do not like incorrect.

We can also make other parts but need to find the need from owners. This is not a get-rich scheme for me. I just want to be able to help others that had the same problems. The more we make, the cheaper they are.

We are considering making the rear fenders, but they are very, very complicated and I'm not sure how many people would want them. Because of the tooling, I would have to make a bunch to make them affordable. To repair the ones that were on my truck, took about 60 hours of labor.

I am looking for GTB owners who have parts that they would like to have reproduced. I don't know exactly which ones they can produce, but unless I ask you I will not know your needs.

I am also looking for all of the help I can find on these topics and would appreciate any forums you use to help in our quest.

GTB owners are in a small circle. Let's work together to find some solutions.

dozenjeeps

burma jeep

Hi, Bill, guess I would be interested in the passenger seat when you get some done... as of now I do not know how far I am going to go on this... I have close to a dozen jeeps and need to decide what is being kept and what isn't... thanks...

wmmscott

I don't know when they will be done, but I know the buyers will pay one heck of a lot less than I did for mine. Please pass the word to any other owners you know. I'll post again when they are ready.

dionmtn

Burma jeep needs

I am near completion on my restoration. My engine seems to be different than all the photos I see. The distributor on mine is on the side,making the search for the top tube the spark plug wires use not necessary. But it's rebuilt anyhow and looks good.

I need to find drawings or some old roof bows to copy from. I'm sure they are the same as other 1 1/2 ton trucks of the era, but don't know where they are either. :driver:

It's a hoot of a vehicle. Very pricy to restore but more rare that a Rolls Royace in East Tennessee.:driver::deadhorse
:driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks