• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Busted Backing Plate for rear brakes

Red Dragon

Busted Backing Plate for rear brakes. (With pics!)

Hi all, it's been way too long. I found some brake parts lying in my driveway, then found this-
backing plate 2.jpgbacking plate 3.jpgbacking plate 1.jpg

I have a 1986 m1028. Anyone ever encounter this before? How hard a job to get a new backing plate installed? I have done most things myself on this truck but would hate to get halfway done and get stuck because I needed a special tool or something. I have done rear brakes before so I am familiar with brake shoes and wheel cylinders (probably need a new one) I Can't seem to find the part I need for the backing plate online. Also have no idea the part number for this, Can't find correct tm's. As always your help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should be 4 nuts that hold the backing plate on the studs in the axle housing . Unless the threads got damaged somehow it should be straight forward bolt off / bolt on . Also the steel brake line could be a problem , but thats a easy replacement also.

Red Dragon

Wow. Thanks! What a relief. I'm going to do both sides with new shoes and yes, brake line is busted But no big deal. Any idea where I could get the part number for the backing plate? Thank you very much for setting my mind at ease.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow. Thanks! What a relief. I'm going to do both sides with new shoes and yes, brake line is busted But no big deal. Any idea where I could get the part number for the backing plate? Thank you very much for setting my mind at ease.
The GM part number is in the parts TM any good parts house should be able to cross it to their part number.

Red Dragon

Just tried to find this part-
Backing plate 14068905. Apparently it is no longer made. I was thinking of trying Hillbilly Wizard unless I'm missing something. Seems odd that no one makes this part for such a common axle.

Chaski

Hillbilly wizard will have you covered, or your local self service wrecking yard. I had some in my side yard for years, but they went to scrap heaven.

Red Dragon

Went over some of the tm's to familiarize myself and am dumbfounded at the amount of info on this site. Very nice. Now that I have a "smart" phone I will be viewing this info more regularly.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hillbilly Wizard had a supply of NOS rears for a while. Many of them were converted to rear disc and at one point, he had a stash of brake parts. I bought a pair of NOS backing plates with everything attached. I'd say he would be my second stop after searching here. Many members have done the disc brake conversion.

Red Dragon

Have a set of NOS rear shoes, wheel cylinder, and used backing plate coming from Hillbilly Wizard. I did not realize how much work it is to get the drums off. When I said I had experience with rear shoes it was on my ford ranger. Just a bit different. I will search the tm' s for tourqe specs. For the bearing retaining nut and axle bolts. Anyone know the number? I've scrolled through some 900 pages so far. Really great info! Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Chaski

Is the drivers side toast? If so my sideyard has a present for you. I hadn't tossed it after all. You pay shipping and send me something random (but non perishable) you don't need valued at $20 or less.

Doh! Just realized that I found the backing plate about an hour late!

Attachments

Last edited:

Red Dragon

That's really cool but ordered one from Hillbilly wizard I shouldn't back out now but that is so nice of you. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please share this bible with us.

Red Dragon

20170228_141828.jpg20170228_142837.jpg

I can't afford a new axle so I need options. One of my thoughts was to install new backing plate and leave out brake components and cap off the brake line at junction block then I at least would have three wheels with working brakes. Also the bearings are toast in wheel hub.

cucvrus

View attachment 668776View attachment 668777

I can't afford a new axle so I need options. One of my thoughts was to install new backing plate and leave out brake components and cap off the brake line at junction block then I at least would have three wheels with working brakes. Also the bearings are toast in wheel hub.
I see nothing that a skilled welder could not repair in an hour or 2. That is all you need. Worse case scenario. Weld the backing plate to the axle. It will do the same thing and still be removable if the need be. But why would you need to? Don't fret take it to a weld shop. If you were closer I would enjoy the challenge. Good Luck. I have a friend in Maine. he always goes to Hedge Hog village to get things fixed. I don't know where that is but Frenchy is a good welder there.