• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Busted Backing Plate for rear brakes

Red Dragon

Thank you cucvrus. I have power right there. All I need to do then is rig up a 220v outlet for a welder. My only concern is that one of the lower ears is bent so I guess I need to make sure the backing plate is lined up right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

cucvrus

Grind it so it fits flush and square. It is NOT critical on the clocking. If it is tight and flush,. Nail it. It will work. it is not rocket science. Just an old drum brake. make sure you have good welds no chicken crap will work. Good Luck. You can do it. Use bolts to get it tight and weld it from there. Grind flange smooth and level.

Red Dragon

O.K. I was thinking of longer bolts with flare nuts. Welding the nuts to whatever is left of the flange, at least then it would be removable. will send pics when done.

cucvrus

You can weld it fast. You will never need to remove it in this life time. But if you did you can use a die grinder and cut the welds. You could weld flange nuts. They would work. But welding would be the same and stronger. That flange is salvageable but welding would be more labor effective. Good Luck. I know you have this bagged. Take a brake:)

Red Dragon

Just wanted to update. I bought a welder and finished the job right before our last big snow storm. We use this truck to plow our road roughly 3/4 mile from our driveway though difficult terrain to a town plowed road. I consider the truck to be a family member, she has done amazing work. I thank you all for the helpful advise and manuals on this site. I could not do it otherwise.

HKjk

Is it possible the excess link on your tire chains grabbed where the parking brake cable enters the backing plate? Seems like a lot of force would be needed to shear and break that plate the way it did.

Red Dragon

I thought of that, I don't think so. The Link is short of grabbing onto the cable but I wired it up after this happened anyway. One thing that I noticed was that the parking brake cable was rusted so bad that it seized. I never use the parking brake but if It did get hung up on something it would apply the break without releasing. I have a new one installed and will replace the one on the other side when the weather warms up a bit along with new shoes for that side.