• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

busted dana 44

wilsonmotors

ok so the other day one of my hub bearings went out and trashed the hub and axel and i lost brakes so in the process of trying to fix it i found a dana 60 and a 14 bolt ff with 3.73 gears the 14 bolt is out of a 89 burb it has a locker and the dana is from a 70's dually so i spent all day today pulling axle's and you guys will hate me for this i got both the dana and the 14 for 200$ and there not abused is there any special parts i need to put these in my 09 and does anyone know how to get to the nuts on the front of the back springs or do i have to lift the body to get the ones off the burb i just cut the spring perch on the frame we couldnt see a way to put a wrench on the nut to get the springs loose i wanna use the 3/4 tons with over loads on the back of the 09 they r the same length as the ones that r on there now

wikallen

Hard to understand your long sentence, but I would get new Ubolts, new bushings, and new bolts.

You will probably have to let the springs droop as far as you can to get at the shackle. I do not have a chevy truck of that era anymore and can not remember what the shackles and mounts look like.

rnd-motorsports

I would think as old as the thing is your best bet would be to get a torch and cut the head off the bolt and the nut then pry the spring out and remove the bolt and bushing after you get the spring out get a energy suspension bushing kit and replace all the bushings anyways sounds like you got a deal. On the front you will need 3 new u bolts for the Dana 60 as they use wider ones and two grade 8 bolts for the pass side. the front rotors will need to be changed to use single wheel . That will cost as much as you paid for both axles unless you find a deal like you did to get axles! the only other thing I can think of would be the steering link from box to front axle may need to change an end cant remember without looking at it maybe the brake lines in the front I think the 1/2 ton and 1 ton calipers use diff size banjo bolts check u joints and drive shafts and you should be set most don't hook up park brake so thats easy as I assume your not going to either. I think thats it but I,m human may have left somthing out!

scrambled

I would bet that 3/4 civvy springs are the same rate as 1009 springs. The 1009 uses beefier springs than the regular k5s. Just bolt the overloads on if you got the frame brackets from the donor truck.

Travis

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Itwillbedifficulttotellifthespringswillworkwithoutmeasuringotherthanthattheywillprettymuchboltinsorryican'tbebothereswithcapitalizationandpunctuationorspacesbetweenwordsforthatmatter

wilsonmotors

ya i assumed it was a dana 44. anyone know where i can get h1 wheels and the hmmwv 37's? i have a duelly front 60 on it now which is what i ned to make it work right?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
h1wheelsandtirescanoftenbefoundintheclassifiedsIdalsolookatbergtireinnorthcarolinadontforgetyouwillneedtoaddspacerstothebackfortheh1wheels

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
ya i assumed it was a dana 44. anyone know where i can get h1 wheels and the hmmwv 37's? i have a duelly front 60 on it now which is what i ned to make it work right?
Got a set of hmmwv wheels and tires for sale. Only problem is the deep deep backspacing. You'll just about want those dually spacers on the front axle. And you'll need to space the rear somehow as well. Or you could get these wheels recentered for a shallower backspacing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks