• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buy already Bobbed or DIY

Ten4x4

Im mechanically inclined but have no clue about how to work on dueces. Looking to pick up my first one and was wondering if I should drop the extra cash for one already Bobbed or do it myself. Also how hard is it to weld another cab on the back to make it a quad cab? That looks friggin sweet!

dilligaf13

It all depends on your abilities and resources. Bobbing a deuce isn't terribly difficult if you have the right tools. Bobbing requires much less fabricating skills than a quad cab, so it might be a good idea to bob a deuce first to get comfortable with the truck and then look at the quad cab route. Or if money isn't an issue just buy on already built. If you go that route make sure you buy from a reputable source as some people just rig up some bob jobs.

Bcurtman

Half the fun is in doing it yourself. There's something to be said for the pride of telling people you built it and not bought it. Nothing against those who buy, but I've seen so many custom jobs over the years that the owner really knew very little about. I bought my first one and bobbed it with my son. He's 13 and he will always remember this, even if he's not a gear head like his old man later in life. It's heavy work, not like lifting a jeep! It's satisfying work as well. The devil is always in the details, but I say just jump in and do it. This forum is priceless when it comes to knowledge. Good luck, whichever way you go.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I second what Bcurtman said.......I assisted in the build of my bobber and was able to be creative on some things.

The guy that did most of the fab work mis-calculated where to put the axle and I was unable to use the M105 bed I had gotten blasted and painted.

I ended up buying a flatbed from my buddy that owns a wrecker service. I did some custom work on it and then fabbed set of dual stacks from HUMVEE fording exhaust pipes. See pic.

It had the whistler turbo on it and the exhaust had a pretty decent sound.

I had planned to put a hardtop on it and paint it a gunmetal grey color.

It now belongs to a fellow SS member.

Fabbing a crewcab would not be for the faint of heart or someone lacking fab skills. You would also need a lot of special equipment (welding, metal working) and a well equipped shop to do a professional looking job.

Attachments

Ten4x4

Yeah thats more my style, i always like doing it myself so that if something goes wrong I know how it works. Id rather spend the money on getting a real nice stock deuce as a good starting platform and then take my time and do a real clean job. My only concern is not having any heavy machinery to do such a big project. When I picture doing it I see someone having a plasma cutter a crane or fork lift to lift the new bed on, a lift to keep the frame off the ground while you relocate the axle. I dont have any of that stuff. Is there a good detailed writeup of all that bobbing entails? Thanks again guys