• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying a civy truck with a 6.2, wanted to talk to the experts

Loco_Hosa

Hey ya'll, I hate posting something that doesnt quiet fit this forum, but I know very little about diesels, and you guys are the experts for the 6.2, so I came to ya'll.

Im buying a civy GMC pickup with a 6.2. He says it doesnt burn any fluids, just a small oil leak from valve covers. I wanted to know things I should inspect on this truck, and how to "Read" the smoke.... On a gas engine excesive white smoke can mean burning coolent, blue is oil, and black is running really rich.

Same basic idea with a diesel? Or is it totaly diffrent?

He says he has all the reciepts for everything on the truck, it comes with a set of mud tires and a set of street tires, (The muds were two years old, he says they are "Like new") the trans was rebuilt four years back, (700R4) and he says it has an extra starter, and possibly an extra alternator.

Would this one be a 12v, or a 24?

Thank you all for humoring me, even though its a lame ass civy rig :p

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 things I always do when inspecting a 6.2 truck. Firstly remove the oil filler cap while running. A whist of smoke is OK, a steady plume of smoke indicates excessive engine wear. Also sit in the truck while its running and shut it off. At the point the engine ceases rotating, the whole truck will shake if the bottom end is tight. Oh, a 3rd thing, check the harmonic balancer to see if the ring has shifted.

Someday I will deliver Domino's Pizza with an M1009!
Done that! :razz: Cooked some starters doing it too....

Smoke colors are pretty much the same; you'll see some when starting cold, that's normal for pretty much any diesel.

Best way to really check is to get a compression test done.

Civvy model will most likely be on a 12 volt system. Check the battery connections; if you have two in parallel (Pos to Pos) that's 12V.

hobie237

Im buying a civy GMC pickup with a 6.2. He says it doesnt burn any fluids, just a small oil leak from valve covers. I wanted to know things I should inspect on this truck, and how to "Read" the smoke.... On a gas engine excesive white smoke can mean burning coolent, blue is oil, and black is running really rich.

Same basic idea with a diesel? Or is it totaly diffrent?

Same basic idea, although white smoke on startup/cranking comes from unburned fuel in a diesel. And old diesels often blow clouds of black smoke, (well, sometimes grey or whatever) when pushed, and it's not a problem.

He says he has all the reciepts for everything on the truck, it comes with a set of mud tires and a set of street tires, (The muds were two years old, he says they are "Like new") the trans was rebuilt four years back, (700R4) and he says it has an extra starter, and possibly an extra alternator.
Cool! If there's a question here I missed it. As for the muds being "like new," it sounds like you have a bit of disbelief going on. Any reason? If he's not running them daily, they may only have a few thousand, or maybe even a few hundred miles on them, and those are mud miles that don't tend to wear the rubber. They're not exactly soft-compound racing tires that are dryrotted after a year whether you use them or not, either. So I don't see the problem.

Would this one be a 12v, or a 24?
12. Only the military would putz around with 24v systems.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks