• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying a CUCCV what to look for ?

paramed1967

I am looking into buying a 1986 CUCCV from Russell's military vehicles. the price is $4900 and the Guys seem good. The body is in good shape with no rust I have also driven the vehicle and all seems well. Does anyone have any experience with them ? These vehicles are new to me so is there anything as far as problems to look for ?
Thanks To All

SPCWarning

Welcome from Mississippi

First of all, welcome to Steel Soldiers, Paramed.
As an owner of a 1009 myself, I'd say the best advise I can give you is to go to the "forum" section and scroll down to the "CUCV" section. Most every question you may have about a CUCV has been discussed in detail there. They are very reliable vehicles, and require proper preventive maintenance to remain reliable. Most of all though, they're a lot of fun to own and drive. I hope this helps!
Jimmy

Chief_919

Good to talk to you today on the phone- glad you found the site.

My short list-

You want to see it start cold. As in hasn't been run all night. Hard starting when cold is an issue, and folks will sometimes make sure the truck is warm when a buyer shows up so that doesn't show.

If it isn't still 24v, look very hard at the quality of the conversion.

Drive it a lot over bumps around 30-35mph and feel for any shaking in the steering- this can indicate the start of death wobble due to worn kingpins.

Look for rust on the rear cab corners, that is where it rusts first usually.

Look for pictures of a Dana 60 front axle online, and make sure your truck has one. I have seen them out there that people swapped a lighter duty one in to.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Just make sure the TETHER is FIRMLY ATTACHED

Last edited: