• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying a Deuce - Any hints?

Corvette1974

Howdy,

I am going to look at an M35A2 this week, I have watched every deuce video there is, read every post I can.... what do I need to look for that I might miss when I check out this M35? It looks pretty clean and the owner says he drives it a lot. Any special ways to check for bad head gasket or brake issues other than just using my brain haha Never owned one before, currently own a M1028 CUCV, along with many other machines. I am a farm manager and head mechanic (along with an IT guy) so I deal with big stuff on a regular basis. Just looking for that insider scoop :D

Thanks,
Will

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ask how deep of mud hes been through. Ask if you can pull a hub. If hes been through mud and not serviced the brakes / bearings, your in for a lot of preventative maint.

The rest is normal stuff. Listen for sounds. See if the motor was started before you got there, thats a bad sign. Check oil, coolant, brake fluid(in the floor).

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Crawl under it - look inside the frame rails. If its been in the mud, it will be packed inside the rails where the brake lines & wiring are. As old as most of these trucks are, mud packed for years can cause corrorsian on the copper lines & fittings. See if its had any grease on the fittings. Leaking wheel cylinders?

Corvette1974

I read this! Thanks - great info. I have been lurking for years and literally read every deuce and cucv thread I can haha

Crawl under it - look inside the frame rails. If its been in the mud, it will be packed inside the rails where the brake lines & wiring are. As old as most of these trucks are, mud packed for years can cause corrorsian on the copper lines & fittings. See if its had any grease on the fittings. Leaking wheel cylinders?
Ask how deep of mud hes been through. Ask if you can pull a hub. If hes been through mud and not serviced the brakes / bearings, your in for a lot of preventative maint.

The rest is normal stuff. Listen for sounds. See if the motor was started before you got there, thats a bad sign. Check oil, coolant, brake fluid(in the floor).

So pretty much normal stuff it looks like. Check all fluids, brakes, mud situation. Inquire about maintenance. It seems this guy drove it in parades. Pictures don't indicate any real rust (seen way worse) but paint can do funny things. Any special tools I should bring that I might not normally bring? To check things like brake fluid....

The rig does have LED lights front and back along with the spin on oil filters which is a definite plus.

Will

TsgtB

Take a real good look inside the oil cap on the valve cover.
If there is any foam or rust or anything other than nice shiny rockers, walk away.
Check the oil and radiator fluid real close for any sigh of contamination.

Bill W

Heres some advise for buying your first deuce or any military vehicle....RUN,,,RUN FAR AND RUN FAST!!!...and bring your check book with you, but wait, I see you already own a CUCV so your check book is probably over drawn already :p

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take it for a ride and apply throttle and then let off apply throttle and let off while in high range. What we are looking for is if the range leaver will drop out of high range by it's self.
Driving tip if all is good. When coming to the light/stop sign or what ever make the range shift while the wheels are still turning just at bit before the complete stop. They don't have to be turning fast just turning and that will ease any transfer case shift.

Corvette1974

The deuce forum is a wealth of info. Also download and read the deuce Tech Manuals. They'll teach you a ton about the deuces.
Read them!

Take a real good look inside the oil cap on the valve cover.
If there is any foam or rust or anything other than nice shiny rockers, walk away.
Check the oil and radiator fluid real close for any sigh of contamination.
Yep, don't want any bad HGs or cracked parts!

Heres some advise for buying your first deuce or any military vehicle....RUN,,,RUN FAR AND RUN FAST!!!...and bring your check book with you, but wait, I see you already own a CUCV so your check book is probably over drawn already :p
M life had already been taken over by surplus haha, generators, daily driving a CUCV, about to get a Deuce.....life is good!

Take it for a ride and apply throttle and then let off apply throttle and let off while in high range. What we are looking for is if the range leaver will drop out of high range by it's self.
Driving tip if all is good. When coming to the light/stop sign or what ever make the range shift while the wheels are still turning just at bit before the complete stop. They don't have to be turning fast just turning and that will ease any transfer case shift.

Hmm good tip. Check for wear in the tcase.... Will do

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks