• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying a Deuce with a leaky IP?

I went and looked at another Deuce yesterday, it was in really good shape except for a leaky upper radiator hose and a couple other leaky areas. My main concern was a leaky injector pump - I should have taken some pictures because I can't remember exactly where it was leaking from, but the top of the pump was damp.

When we were on a test drive the owner told me that there was gas in the tank. He mentioned that if you were using over 15 gallons (I think) of gasoline that you had to add a quart of motor oil to help keep the IP lubricated - so he seemed to know what he was talking about. I'm not sure if he was running straight gas w/ oil or a mix of diesel/gasoline.

Anyway, the truck ran great, but is it possible that gasoline has damaged some of the seals in the pump and that's causing it to leak? How much is involved in rebuilding the IPs on these trucks, and/or how much would I be looking at for a replacement?

Thanks for any information.

deuceinaround

Seems like the most common leak on the ip is the o rings under the head,if your handy with a wrench they can be replaced in 2 or 3 hours,I just finished mine,it started leaking an wasn't to bad but the more I drove the worse it got,turns out one if the studs the holds the head on has stripped out,so I has to tap out the hole an ended up using a allen bolt instead of a stud because I couldnt get a bigger stud an nut down beside the head,I got my seals from Shiver Deisel Tifton Ga ph# 229-382-1595,a seal kit cost $21 an they shipped it to me,i had it the next day,the kit contains 3 complete sets of seals so if you screw anything up you've got plenty of spares :lol:,but they told me if something ever happens you mite as well send them the pump an $1000,cause if they have to go into it this is about what it's going to cost you,so you would probly just be in the market for another pump,but if you can tell where the leak is coming from an the rest of the truck checks out good I would go for it,its proly a 40 year old truck so its gona leak,but this is just my 2cents,good luck an happy deuceing!!:grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks