• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying a HEMTT across the country

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Guys,

In the market for an 8x8 or 10x10. I have a few options open but so I nice HEMTT for sale in TX, and me being in MA, I would need to have it inspected and shipped.

Can anyone chime in on how they purchased their truck from another part of the country, and if you had an inspection done or not?

Shipping quote I got on a M1074 was near $8000. Driving it back would be fun but if something goes wrong enroute I would probably be screwed.

I am focused on the HEMTT and M1074 as there are two currently for sale. MK48's are nice but want something that handles a little better.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a M1070 located in northern michigan listed in the SS classifeds . They are going to be expensive to ship because they need to go on a RGN trailer.

TheScrapman

If you can fix things your self, maybe just bring a truck down with a bunch of tools and spare parts and hook it up to the hemtt on the way back. Hemtt's are pretty reliable, the only thing that broke on mine the whole time I was in 2-82 was the starter shorted out and then caught fire in NTC because I was told to drive it anyway. other than that mine never had any problems.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the way I do it, I plan/budget to have the truck shipped, then go get it and drive it home myself. If it breaks down, you call a trucking company, have them load up and take it the rest of the way, then you get on a train/plane and go home. If/when you make it home, then you saved yourself 50% or more by driving it yourself.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
There is a m977 hemtt in Michigan as well. Member 007 has it on ebay. You may also check with john appell on here as he had a HEMTT in SE PA awhile back

Shipping on that weight of a hemtt is 4.80 a mile as it can go on a stepdeck trailer. A PLS Truck will fit on a stepdeck if you let the tires down to 10psi
Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JDToumanian

I drove mine across the country... Here's my recovery thread which has a lot of information:

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?146278-1-680-mile-HEMTT-recovery

Shipping quotes were indeed very expensive, and that was a strong motivating factor in my decision to drive it back, but I was financially prepared to pay for shipping in the event of problems. My theory was that the closer I got to home, the cheaper shipping for the remainder of the trip would be. I think to go on a recovery trip like that without sufficient resources to cope with problems that may arise would be foolish.

Jon

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a m977 hemtt in Michigan as well. Member 007 has it on ebay. You may also check with john appell on here as he had a HEMTT in SE PA awhile back

Shipping on that weight of a hemtt is 4.80 a mile as it can go on a stepdeck trailer. A PLS Truck will fit on a stepdeck if you let the tires down to 10psi
007 is the one with the
M 1070 listed in the classifieds.

Elideclan2

I’m in ma. I’ve shipped two hemtts. One from Georgia $2600
the other from Kentucky $2400. I judged JR Martin transport out of
Pa. If you would like to talk you can pm me and I’ll send you my #.
I sold my m983 to a guy in Florida. He picked if up sight unseen
and drove it home. It took him four days to get home. He had never driven
one before. I still have my m977. It is a 2012 red river rebuild. Looks brand new

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reading every post here, great info.

I have three trucks on my radar right now.

(M1074 on GovPlanet)

(Waco, TX Craigslist)
This one is $25k Overhauled/MWO in 2006. 4k miles. Transmission pan is wet, probable leak. No title/SF97

(New Jersey Craigslist)
This one has 16k miles, rebuild 500 miles ago. Air in the gas tank. $35k

I’m in ma. I’ve shipped two hemtts. One from Georgia $2600
the other from Kentucky $2400. I judged JR Martin transport out of
Pa. If you would like to talk you can pm me and I’ll send you my #.
I sold my m983 to a guy in Florida. He picked if up sight unseen
and drove it home. It took him four days to get home. He had never driven
one before. I still have my m977. It is a 2012 red river rebuild. Looks brand new
Wow that's much cheaper than I thought. If I get one for the right price I will certainly be looking to talk to you. Will PM for your info.
I suppose that M977 isn't going to be up for sale soon, is it?

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Please check the site rules on posting upcoming auction and CL links.

Member fuzzytoaster is sort of near the waco area and may know that truck or who has it. So maybe he could lend some advice or look at it.

Any auction truck is a gamble.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Member fuzzytoaster is sort of near the waco area and may know that truck or who has it. So maybe he could lend some advice or look at it.

Fixed the post.

I forgot to mention that one has no title/SF97, not sure how much of a pain that will be to register. In MA, probably a nightmare. Would probably need to secure a title through VT registration.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Fixed the post.

I forgot to mention that one has no title/SF97, not sure how much of a pain that will be to register. In MA, probably a nightmare. Would probably need to secure a title through VT registration.
I can get you a legal TN title for road use with no problem at all. Takes about 4 weeks. Just would need all your information and a LEO signed verified vin etch. Pretty simple.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Simp you might want to edit your post as it has the GP/CL links in it as well , the other poster corrected his post.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Simp you might want to edit your post as it has the GP/CL links in it as well , the other poster corrected his post.
I dont fix quotes as it wasn't my posting and pertains to what i referred to. A mod can take care of that when they view it if they want.

Elideclan2

Even with a sf97 in your name, it can be difficult to register these in ma.
Also keep in mind that to insure it as an antique you need to store it inside.
Ive had two insurance companies require this with photo evidence and they check
with google earth to see the building on your property. Crazy I know.
Having a garage 36’ long is unusual. I would not touch a private sale without a title.
At least with an auction you get the correct paperwork. Lastly if you were to get a private sale
make sure they bought it without the requirements to scrap. Buying with a legit state title
is the safest route

JDToumanian

For the ones with no paperwork, I'd call GovPlanet and give them the VIN... They make money on SF-97s, so there's some motivation for them to help if they can.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks