• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying a LMTV 1078?

Olympus

I'm still searching for my first MV. I had originally been looking at the 5 tons, but I'm thinking they might be too big for my needs, an occasional fun rig for weekend cruises, parades, etc. I'm still considering them though.

I did run into what looks like a decent LMTV 1078 that's about 4 hours away and already titled in my state. Owner bought it from GP, says it runs and drives good, everything works, but has a small drip leak around a seal in the tranny. Vehicle looks in good shape from photos. Owner is asking $8500. Is there anything I need to be asking about? Is the the price decent? Anything I need to know about these in general?

aleigh

That price is low if it's low-no rust and everything is there and working properly. If something is broken well then all things are negotiable. There is a lot to know about them - a good place to start is reading the forum here. If it starts, the cab lifts, and it runs and sounds good, it probably is good.

The tranny leak is not great. Make sure you know what the cost-to-fix will be before you make any decisions.

Here is what dropping the transmission looks like: http://imgur.com/gallery/3eBHz/new

Ue413

Like most MV's, these things suffered from lack of use. The air system is full of valves..With the other mechanical elements you will be checking, make sure the truck airs up and that you can hit the brakes multiple times without losing all your air.......

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Owner says he's moving out of state. Does this look like a good machine? Price realistic?
Depends on how serious the transmission issue is. Price sounds decent especially for one already titled/licensed and something I'd be willing to pay. Going rate for a driver is that amount + fees/transportation costs and you still would have unknowns about mechanical issue possibilities.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks