• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying a New Clutch and PP Questions!?

97Beast

I'm about to order a new clutch and pressure plate for my deuce. I plan on ordering from Clark Truck Parts, unless ya'll suggest a better place to get them from. I ordered my gauges from Clark and I had no issues with them.
It has come to my attention that there is a newer and better style clutch than the old one I have right now.

I also want to get a 3 fork pressure plate. From what I understand these pressure plates are for the 5 ton trucks, but they bolt up to the 2.5 tons. Is this true?

Integrated Parts Systems - Transmission Parts
Is the 2.5 ton clutch in this link a newer style one? Aren't the old ones just star shaped versus a disc?
And will the 5 ton pressure plate work in my 2.5 ton.

Thanks in advance guys!!

97Beast

I'm sorry I left this thread hanging so long, but I'm going to order a master clutch set, and transmission gasket kit from C&C tomorrow.:)

I'm also looking for a rear main seal so I can change that out while I have the trans pulled. Anyone know where I should get one??

I've been searching high and low, but does anyone have any good insight on changing the rear main seal?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I swapped out my transmission and replaced my clutch and PP, I bought a rear main seal from Saturn. However, I was talked out of replacing the seal, because my old one didn't leak a drop. I followed the adage, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'. This decision may come back to bite me later.

Ord22

its nothing wrong with replacing the seal. i would, since you have it apart. that will be one thing not to worry about, along with the clutch

97Beast

I got my Clutch, Pressure Plate, and gasket set in the mail.
The only thing i'm missing is the carrier gasket for the rear main seal. Where can I get ahold of one that I can buy online?

Thanks for all the help.:)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may or may not need that gasket. They don't all have that part.

97Beast

Interesting.
My motor is a Continental LDT-465-1D. Do you know which motors are different. All the motors I've seen have that carrier housing for the seal.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You won't know until you pull the flywheel.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The gasket, not sure, maybe Memphis Equipment or any of the other usual sources.

97Beast

Took a look at Memphis Equipment, and they didnt have it.

I've also looked at
-Clark Military Trucks
-OD Iron
-EriksMilitary Surplus
-Eastern Surplus
-CC equipment
And a couple others that I cant recall with no luck.

I know Gimpyrob bought a gasket when he did his rear main seal. I'll shoot him a PM right now.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't look at websites, call.

Last edited:

97Beast

I talked with a guy at Clark Equipment and he said they are two different animals. But he could be mistaken I suppose
However the pressure plate I got from CC Equipment is a 3 prong plate. I'm not sure when this updated 3 prong style of plate came into circulation. But I used to be under the impression that the military started putting in 3 prong plates out of 5 tons whenever a Deuce 4 prong plate broke. It could be a myth. I'm not sure.;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks