• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying first CUCV. Does this look like a good deal?

gixxsta04

You could probably just install a CUCV radio bracket over top of it. You will have to cut the trim insert anyway to do so. As long as they didn't hack the original bracket under the dash pad which is used to bolt the radio bracket to. Either way, you could probably make it work easily and hide that abortion. I wouldn't sweat it but certainly use it as a price bargaining chip!

It sounds like you are looking to do a pretty "classic" setup with a lift and hummer tires. First, I would recommend a slightly shorter lift. Second, if you are doing the 37's then the stock 4.56 gears would be a better choice. Third, the 6.2 is cake to work on if you can read. So many people have issues with glow plugs or IP's. Don't jump to doing a 12v conversion or a gas 350 because you cannot learn the 24v 6.2 diesel setup. It works great for what it is. Fourth, good luck with your purchase. CUCV's rock!
I have heard that M1009's get 20+ highway MPG. If my calculations are correct that should run about 2250RPM at 65mph with 31" tires and 3.08's. I think 3.73's with 37's should come out to be almost the exact same final drive. I am hoping the turbo will make up for any lost take off power and I will reap all the benefits of the extra MPG.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Looks OK but I would probably would not want to spend over $2800. Yes it has a turbo kit, that is really the only thing going for it. Yeah it has leather seats but it looks like the driver side is starting to become unstitched. The radio installation sucks, lots of poor quality interior and exterior parts. It still has an old box fuel filter so that tells me no one has probably done anything recent to it because 99% of owners switch to a spin on IMO.
Sweet, I'm finally a 1%-er.

Matt1031

I have heard that M1009's get 20+ highway MPG. If my calculations are correct that should run about 2250RPM at 65mph with 31" tires and 3.08's. I think 3.73's with 37's should come out to be almost the exact same final drive. I am hoping the turbo will make up for any lost take off power and I will reap all the benefits of the extra MPG.
Purely my personal opinion, but food for thought:
Turbo kit or not, 3.73's combined with 37" tires are going to turn any 6.2 powered truck into a gutless slug. You can run that combo, but you'll have no pulling power whatsoever and 0-60 acceleration times you can measure with an hourglass. If you never plan to pull a trailer you might be able to get away with it, but what's the point of owning a one ton 4x4 if you can't put it to work?

Source : I currently have 3.73's with 265's (32") under mine. 37's would be unbearable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks