• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying First M1008...

wafinley

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Time for some additional pics. Also I have a question. I included a picture of a M1008 with a communication rack in the back. Thinking of putting one in mine if it was normal for the M1008 communication platform. We had radios in some of our M1008 trucks, but I don't remember the rack being that big. This might be a proving ground configuration, or something like that. Any info would be helpful.:-D

20160507_094821.jpg

20160507_095940.jpg

20160508_144612.jpg

Attachments

wafinley

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok...answered my own question looking at other threads...I must have a faulty memory, cause it is pretty standard for the M1008A1 to have the large communication rack...seemed a lot smaller. :lol: Have decided not to add to my truck. I will just throw a PRC-77 in the back! Here are some more pics... My mechanic thinks it might be running by memorial day weekend!

20160507_094845.jpg

20160507_094943.jpg

20160507_095025.jpg

20160307_105636.jpg

2deuce

Nice looking truck! Was it an a1? The rack looks right. I think most of the problems with the electrical on these trucks stems from the fact that they were seldom used with low or very low miles in their military career, leading to corrosion in the connections. I have owned many and still do and rebuilt many alternators along the way. Many here preach about the doghead relay fix and while I don't do it unless I have a failure, it isn't a bad idea if your truck has sat in the weeds for a while.

wafinley

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck I am getting was not an A1...the one picture of the truck with the comm rack was a parts truck I was going to cannibalize for the rack. I was thinking of building out a communication configuration, but I have decided to leave it all original. Just a straight up cargo truck. The truck has been setting in Arizona for quite some time(15+ years probably). My mechanic has assured me that the motor pool ready build they are doing on the truck will make sure the relay is in good shape. They have access to many parts in their yard (probably 40+ M1008) and they have many NOS parts they have accumulated along the way. They have done a full restoration of an 1963 M37b1 and a motor pool ready restoration of an M274A5 for me. Both came out of their salvage yard....They have always done great work for me. So knowing that, I will probably follow what you typically do...I won't do the doghead relay fix unless I have a failure. Hope to have the project completed by Memorial Day. I will post pictures...and maybe a video of it running if I can figure that out. This will make military vehicle #6 that we have put back on the road!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks