• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying HMMWV from law enforcement agency

Glider

A law enforcement agency that I am familiar with has a Humvee with a bad engine. It has been parked for several years. I inquired and was told that the vehicle would have to go back to the government or would have to go to the scrap yard they weren't exactly sure. Is anyone familiar with the rules concerning municipalities or law enforcement agencies using military surplus equipment and the protocols for disposing of vehicles when necessary?

I would be interested in buying the vehicle for parts only. Would also be willing to return certain parts to scrap yard or government yard if needed for identification, etc.

If this has been covered my apologies.

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They go up for sale on govdeals all the time, from Sheriffs departments, fire departments and others. No reason they cant put it up for sale.

Glider

It has to go back to the govt first, then it can go on govdeals, IF they decide to sell it intact.
I called the Defense Logistics Agency. Yes the vehicle has to go back. The question I couldn't get answered is: What condition can it go back in? The vehicle is inop. Could they return a bare frame?

Let's imagine a scenario. Assume a law enforcement agency buys 10 M998. Over the course of use 1 has engine failure and it is used for parts. 5 years down the road the once complete M998 is a shell with bad engine. Then a newly elected official says "hey we need to clean up the equipment lot." AT this point M998 frame and bad engine will be returned to DLA.

This leads to my question. Would that be a problem? Is there someone saying hey this is missing doors and slant top? What is the minimum needed to be considered a correctly returned vehicle?

papakb

My M1026 came from the California Department of Forestry. They had screened it to use on the fire lines but it had problems and they parked it. It sat for almost 5 years and then they auctioned it off after a change of command and a general cleanup. I've seen local law enforcement sell these trucks off for years and recently had a couple of friends who bought 3 of them from a sherriffs department. There are so many of them coming up surplus right now that they really don't want them back but beware, it's not going to be easy getting them registered.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I called the Defense Logistics Agency. Yes the vehicle has to go back. The question I couldn't get answered is: What condition can it go back in? The vehicle is inop. Could they return a bare frame?

Let's imagine a scenario. Assume a law enforcement agency buys 10 M998. Over the course of use 1 has engine failure and it is used for parts. 5 years down the road the once complete M998 is a shell with bad engine. Then a newly elected official says "hey we need to clean up the equipment lot." AT this point M998 frame and bad engine will be returned to DLA.

This leads to my question. Would that be a problem? Is there someone saying hey this is missing doors and slant top? What is the minimum needed to be considered a correctly returned vehicle?

Under the right circumstances, that could be construed as theft. Not worth the potential trouble.

JMHO

Glider

I spoke to another person in the surplus area. LEA can buy under different terms. Some can be purchased that will always have to be returned. Some can be purchased with a 18 month hold and then the agency can do as they please. They can also apply for a permit to cannibalize a vehicle. Once permission is granted they have 6 months to cannibalize and return whats left to GVT.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spoke to another person in the surplus area. LEA can buy under different terms. Some can be purchased that will always have to be returned. Some can be purchased with a 18 month hold and then the agency can do as they please. They can also apply for a permit to cannibalize a vehicle. Once permission is granted they have 6 months to cannibalize and return whats left to GVT.
That is true. But if it came from the 1033 program and has demil parts like a turret, it has to go back to DLA. Sure if it’s a garden variety 998 that came from State Surplus, the 18 month rule applies then they can sell it. Most Law agencies get their Army toys from 1033.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks