• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

buying my first deuce

greenery

hey everybody, i guess im the new guy, and as typical ive got a couple questions. First off, is there anywhere in indiana tht i can get a good deal on a deuce? It seems indiana is generally devoid of places to pick them up. Another question i had was whether not bobbing a deuce would affect its hauling, as im beginning to lean toward keeping it a 6x6, just super single rims instead, as i plan to use this for any work i do where my regular pickup wont be able to perform. And last i wanted to kno what exactly lockers are, what are they? How do they work? What r the pros & cons of them? Any feedback would be very helpful

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Lockers are traction devices that allow you to get stuck farther from terra-firma than with out. Its like positraction, do you know what that is? I'd get a winch before I'd worry about lockers. Lots of dealers advertise on Egay.

Lockers: A typical limited slip differential will transfer power to usually only one wheel at a time (whichever has the least ammount of traction) it also eliminates wheel hop by allowing the wheels to turn at different speeds around sharp turns. A LOCKER mechanically locks the diff so an equal ammount of power is sent to both wheels. These are made to be selectable or automatic so they can be engaged when low traction (sand, snow, mud) conditions are present and disengaged when there is an area of high traction (paved surface).

Good luck with your other questions and welcome to SS!

A

A/C Cages

Just before buying, get the advice of these SS members here. They will save you a fortune in the end.
They might not give you the advice you want to hear, but trust me, they know everything there is to know about the deuces.
Ive been around them for many years and they have taught me new tricks too.

KsM715

Bobbing a deuce will reduce the amount of hauling it can do. If you think about it if you cut off one axle and make the bed shorter the truck is naturally goiing to be smaller.

I suggest going to the deuce forum and the deuce hotrod and mod forum and just start reading everything you can.

greenery

C&C Equipment in Unionville Indiana is were I got my deuce.What town in Indiana are you from.
i am in marion county, outside a little town called acton, someone near my favorite creek owns an m35a2 with a big box on the back, and ever since i saw it, iv always wanted one

fasttruck

Goverment Liquidation which is the contractor that runs the internet auction system for the government has a sales point in Indianapolis. Look on their site under locations for the address. GL is the cheapest source for trucks but also the most aggravating and slow. Read numnberous posts on end use certificate problerms etc.

If you already know how a differential works than don't bother watching this film. if not than watch it. lockers work by making both wheels inner/outer spin at the same speed. other wise for instance your drivers side tire is in some slick mud pass side is on dry pavement due to the way a diff works it will transfer all power to side with least resistance (mud) but when you have lockers or engage your lockers this will prevent one side form spin faster than the other therefore the wheel in the mud will no longer spin independently from the wheel on the pavement (both will spin at same speed.) than helping you get out of your stuck situation.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYAw79386WI[/media]

Attachments

Sevin7

PM sent. I have heard good things about C & C Equipment and from what I understand they are close to your location. The truck they were showing off at Haspin last year was pretty sweet!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The advantage of buying a deuce from a dealer or private party is that you can inspect, drive and evaluate it before you open your wallet.

You also get instant gratification in that you can take your baby home and have your way with her immediatly instead of doing the EUC dik dance.

If you are only going to buy one truck I would reccomend a dealer or private party.

rongaudier

If you do buy a deuce from GL (it is possible to get a good deal, mine runs great and cost $900) you have to consider transportation costs. It is unrealistic in most cases to consider driving the vehicle home from the lot.

Jimma

You could also check on craigs list. Search under cars and trucks using terms like "military, deuce, or M35A2". Thats how I found my first deuce here in the state of georgia. Buying from a dealer or private party allows you to have that "instant gratification" feeling and you can proudly drive it right home. I occasionally check the Atlanta Craigslist and there are often several of them for sale on there.

asgtoolman

The advantage of buying a deuce from a dealer or private party is that you can inspect, drive and evaluate it before you open your wallet.

You also get instant gratification in that you can take your baby home and have your way with her immediatly instead of doing the EUC dik dance.

If you are only going to buy one truck I would reccomend a dealer or private party.

I agree with wreckerman--drive and evaluate--pay and drive it home with complete paperwork.
GL is fun to play around with; AFTER you learn the ropes!

edit---WOW, this post got me promoted to Colonel!! I guess 201 is a magic number!!

Last edited: