• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying price

BLK HMMWV

Thanks for the info.
Do your homework about registration in CA. before you buy one at auction and try to get it licensed in Ca. nowadays.
Probably better to buy one already plated in Calif.
Things have changed over the last 30 years related to them here in the Ca.
If your not a wrench turner you better be a good learner, if you Live in a HOA controlled part of Ca. you better check to see if they have some weird requirements as to parking it outside. ( i know that sounds strange but HOA's have some very strange rules)
If you don't have a garage big enough to park it in you may have fun getting insurance for it too.

Action

Do your homework about registration in CA. before you buy one at auction and try to get it licensed in Ca. nowadays.
Probably better to buy one already plated in Calif.
Things have changed over the last 30 years related to them here in the Ca.
If your not a wrench turner you better be a good learner, if you Live in a HOA controlled part of Ca. you better check to see if they have some weird requirements as to parking it outside. ( i know that sounds strange but HOA's have some very strange rules)
If you don't have a garage big enough to park it in you may have fun getting insurance for it too.
That last sentence reads like .....it will be easy to get insurance if you have a big garage.

JetbikeAnt

That last sentence reads like .....it will be easy to get insurance if you have a big garage.
I never had an issue getting insurance in PA through Hagerty. The gent that bought my M988 was quoted more for not having a garage. I'm paying like $800 a year for $35K guaranteed insurance. If anyone has a better rate please let me know. Thanks!

BLK HMMWV

I never had an issue getting insurance in PA through Hagerty. The gent that bought my M988 was quoted more for not having a garage. I'm paying like $800 a year for $35K guaranteed insurance. If anyone has a better rate please let me know. Thanks!
No it means some insurance companies won't insure it or will charge you more if it's not garaged.
Kind of like Jetbike above's experience. Some HOA's will have a problem if it's not garaged as well.
Just trying to make sure he does his homework.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That last paragraph describes what I’m about. I didn’t even think of a radio. I’m looking for something to work on, learn on, and make mistakes. But, at the end, knowing my blood and sweat are now a part of its soul. It will also help that my nephew was a mechanic in the Marines. He’s offered to help me out when I get one.
Ninewhineone

It sounds to me like you have your head on straight - and with blood and sweat equity - you should do good.

It will be helpful for sure to have a Marine mechanic that is related to you too. Go ahead now and download the TM's and do a little reading. Yes, there are different models and who knows what you may decide to buy - but crawl through those boring (REALLY dry reading) books. They will help you know the terms. Discussing a problem and being able to call out a particular part by name will make you look smarter. And you might discover the flow chart method to diagnose a problem without help. OR you might have tried several things and ask here for more information...

Best to you on your quest!

Ninewhineone

You can’t get it registered in the people’s republic of Kaliforina anyways. Look for a Tesla. That was my second choice believe it or not.
Ugh… I read an article that said it was difficult, not impossible. I’ll have to go back and find it. I’ve never been an off-road guy, but I guess I can start.

Ninewhineone

Ninewhineone

It sounds to me like you have your head on straight - and with blood and sweat equity - you should do good.

It will be helpful for sure to have a Marine mechanic that is related to you too. Go ahead now and download the TM's and do a little reading. Yes, there are different models and who knows what you may decide to buy - but crawl through those boring (REALLY dry reading) books. They will help you know the terms. Discussing a problem and being able to call out a particular part by name will make you look smarter. And you might discover the flow chart method to diagnose a problem without help. OR you might have tried several things and ask here for more information...

Best to you on your quest!
Awesome. Thanks for the advice.

M1165A1

I’ve been looking for such a list. I’ve been to the Am Gen site that has a breakdown of the purpose and cost, but not a “model and trim package” breakdown. I can’t find anything on Eastern Supply, Gov Planet, Iron Planet, or any other site I’ve searched. Any ideas? Thanks

There’s a book you can get on Amazon that has some charts stepping through all the different models and evolutions (although I found one small mistake in the chart):

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks