• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying up the 5 tons?

Lorax

Take this for what it's worth...a "he said, she said" thing. Just had an interesting talk with a fellow MV wingnut. He was talking to a parts supplier, and the supplier made the comment that he had a large order of trucks to get and prep for foreign sale. The supplier wasn't too interested in selling parts, since he would need what he had to get his amount of trucks ready to sell.

If what I was told is true, there are around 1500 trucks being prepped for foreign sale. Mostly M813s, but soon they're going to start getting M818s.

That could explain why, at least in Va and Md, all the M813s I've tried to get have been bought by the same GL customer.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have heard the same thing. It could be Memphis or TNJ Murray. I know that TNJ Murray has a thing for foreign sales, they have been redoing HMMWVs for Morocco recently, and John Murray told me a couple weeks back that he got a contract for 70 wreckers (M800 series and M900 series) for overseas sales, and said that he would be buying all the wreckers he could for a while to fill that order.

LanceRobson

I'd like to buy an M813A1 and the prices lately are up at least $1,000 and they spike much earlier than they had been.

Guess I'll keep looking but I think I'll hold back at current prices.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When a dealer pays over 6K for a bunch of 813's, there is certainly an order to fill. Don't get spoiled by low prices and hold off too long, or you'll end up with no truck. It's like cheap oil in the 90's. It ain't gonna last forever.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...or, you can choose to believe that these trucks will be coming out for years to come and take your time. :D

madsam

Ok, how do they sell to overseas buyers? Doesn't the EUC say they can't sell to people outside the country? Os is it just you can't sell to some people outside the country?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a whole different ball game that your "normal" EUC type sale.

They get special permission from the US State Dept to sell overseas toa specific buyer.. It's a long and complicated process that costs $1,700 a year just to apply for the "permission slip" for sales, but worth it in the end when the checks come... (small interesting note.. If you make a mistake on the application and Uncle Sam bounces it back to you, YOU pay them $1000 as a penalty fee.. And then get to resubmit the application... It's not a fun game to play, and people spend lots of time making sure every i is dotted and t is crossed....)

If you think the EUC process is a PITA, thats nothing compared to US State Sept approval......

EdMontana

madsam said:
Ok, how do they sell to overseas buyers? Doesn't the EUC say they can't sell to people outside the country? Os is it just you can't sell to some people outside the country?
All depends what option you check while filling out the EUC......

Also, for what I understood.....company like CSI purchase direct from the US Government and probably gets the best in quality and variety of models for their purchases.

jwaller

there is also a company down this way thats buying up deuces for overseas refurb's. he too needs about 1000 of them.

I also know of several 923's and M35A3's at Ft Jackson heading to morocco.

m52a2

when I bought my truck @ selfridge ANGB in 2004 about 1/2 the trucks in the GL yard were spray painted with the words "FROZEN FOR MOROCCO" these trucks were not listed for online auction.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought the Moroccan Army was still using Maxim guns mounted on camels. Didn't think any military in the world wanted our old crap trucks. Don't the Europeans all want that stupid looking cab-over stuff that's all the rage in the German and French militaries?

HeadWizard

Lorax said:
That could explain why, at least in Va and Md, all the M813s I've tried to get have been bought by the same GL customer.
OK,OK,OK I'll admit it. It's me buying all the 813's in VA and MD. :shock: No, wait...that was a dream. I bid on all the 813's and the same buyer got them all - almost all of them.

I did win 2 813's at Richmond (along with another M35) and the 2nd 813 EUC cleared today. So who wants to go to Richmond and pick up some trucks?

I have seen the prices increase some, but was able to snag one that looked marginal in the pics but is very nice for under $4k - and it started right up and drives. The 2nd one was listed as an 813 but had pics posted on the GL site of an M35. Apparently nobody went and looked and nobody took a chance on bidding and I stole that one.

And the parking problem grows.......

Attachments