• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buzzing noise from locking hub, repair or replace?

iacucv

Hey guys, did a couple searches but couldn't come up with what I was looking for. Got the m1009 out today to check gp operation and made sure the locking hubs were free while I was at it. Well they were free, but as I got up to about 25mph I got a buzzing noise from the driver front. Assuming it's the hub not fully disengaged. I fiddled some, flipped it back and forth, locked it in and drove it shortly making sure my 4hi and low was working, then disengaged hoping it worked itself free. No go.

So I haven't got time to tear it apart today, nor a heated space to do it. Those of you familiar with the stock hubs, do you think it's a repairable thing or should I just get a new set of hubs on the way? Also, on the subject of hubs, any recommendations? I have eyed the automatic locking ones, has anyone had any experience with these and recommendation? Thanks guys.

FrankenCub

In my experiences with locking hubs, they can get a bit crusty inside from bad grease or moisture, even age. That will many times, make them not fully disengage. IF the hub is your problem. They are pretty easy to disassemble, clean, and reassemble. My neighbor has an F-350 and had problems with his hubs having not been serviced, ever. They were corroded badly and stuck in locked position but they were still able to be cleaned up and put back in service fully operational. Me personally, I've never liked the auto locking hubs. I've usually had more problems with them than they are worth and ended up replacing them with manual locking hubs. This is with civilian vehicles, but same hubs.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Open it up to see if that's the problem.
Could be something else.
As noted, very easy to clean up and apply new grease and install then test.

Agree about the Autos. Stay manual
That is a part you do not want failing at the wrong time.

But find out exactly what the issue is first.

cucvrus

You have a hub that is trying to engage or disengage. The M1009 inner locking hub is harder to get apart and out of the wheel hub then the M1008 1 ton Dana 60 hub. That round wire outer snap ring can be a real treat to first time removers. But once you get that out / round ring off you are smooth sailing from there. I would say a small toothbrush size wire brush a little light chassis grease and you will be good as new. It may need a few parts but you will have to take it apart and examine it. Grease and oil are your friend with lock outs. I has some I could NOT get apart. happy New Year.

iacucv

Thanks guys. I'll try to take a look at it soon, would already be apart but I didn't get my shop insulated in time for winter this year. Maybe next year it will be warm and toasty lol.

rustystud

You have a hub that is trying to engage or disengage. The M1009 inner locking hub is harder to get apart and out of the wheel hub then the M1008 1 ton Dana 60 hub. That round wire outer snap ring can be a real treat to first time removers. But once you get that out / round ring off you are smooth sailing from there. I would say a small toothbrush size wire brush a little light chassis grease and you will be good as new. It may need a few parts but you will have to take it apart and examine it. Grease and oil are your friend with lock outs. I has some I could NOT get apart. happy New Year.[/QUOTE

I've had water get in mine even after replacing all the 'O' rings ! A good cleaning and lubing with a good grease and they should be good as new.
Also stay away from the "automatic" hubs ! They are nothing but trouble !

iacucv

Ok guys, got the drivers side pulled apart tonight no big deal. Found it had some crud in there that was preventing it from disengaging. However I'm not that lucky! The aluminum body of the hub was corroded enough that there is no way it will ever seal, even with a new o ring. So I'm just going to PM them and sleep soundly at night. All wheel bearings checked out good, bad ball joint(s) on passenger side. That tire has been wearing bad on the outside, also need to check tie rod ends as well then get it aligned before I put new tires on.

So, what are your guys recommendations on manual locking hubs? Appreciate your guys help, this site is a great resource!

cucvrus

You plan on running thru deep water on a regular basis? I would just clean it up and get it working. If funds are tight and you need to go thru deep water. Put some Permatex the right stuff on that hub outer area and reassemble it. I am willing to bet that will seal the hub. A little corrosion will not hurt the cover/handle assembly of a lockout. Good Luck. I think you are over thinking this hub issue. I never even thought about the hub being water tight after I service them. I always put some grease on the O ring area and reinstall them. Grease makes them semi waterproof. And a little moisture won't do instant damage. They will dry out as you drive. Good Luck.

FrankenCub

+1 what cucvrus said. I never worried about any corrosion in any that I had and a couple of my trucks spent most of the time I owned them in the deep mud. Just a good periodic cleaning and made sure to use a good quality synthetic grease to help repel water. Some cheap greases will mix with the water creating problems. Quality grease pays off every time. Unless of course you don't mind paying the price for new hub, but still use quality grease in them too. But I'd run 'em.

cucvrus

I use Mobil Mine grade synthetic grease.It is some of the best grade of grease you can use for off road and wet dirty applications. I mean a mine how dirty and wet can you get? A little dab will do you.

iacucv

Good point fellas. Some good rtv around the outside and a new oring should make it sufficient. I'd still be interested in recommendations on new hubs. If they aren't too spendy I'd still consider just replacing them, it would calm that OCD voice in my head lol.

iacucv

Thanks guys. Decided to just pull the trigger on some Milemarker 104 stainless hubs. I didn't like the idea of all that chalky corrosion near my bearings. Times aren't that tough, 75 bucks for new hubs won't break me. Appreciate everyone's help!

iacucv

I used to be through that area all the time, need to update my info I moved back to northwest Iowa. Hometown, all our family is up here so we were going back and forth all the time. Wasn't the easiest with an infant. Back near Okoboji now. Someone around here has a desert tan m1009, pretty good sized lift running possibly humvee tires on it.. Wonder if he's on SS. My previous m1008 still lives in the Iowa river bottoms near Amana, best friends dad always offered me cash and I just didn't have the time to move it back easily. Worked out well for both of us but man do I miss that truck!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks