• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BYPASS START SWITCH AND JUMP STARTER 803A 10K

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just like anything else, shouldn't there be a way to safely start my 803A by jumping the starter? Tried in vain many times to repair issues with the switch and everything in between the switch and the starter. Some of you tried to help me with it a few months back. Now I just want it to run when the day comes that our power is out (we live out in the boonies of the Texas Hill Country). FYI - I am stuck on stupid 24 hours a day from meds, so please keep it simple. Thank you.

Attachments

rickf

Jumping the starter is easy, same as doing it in a car. Switch on, Jump hot cable to small terminal on starter solenoid. BUT! If you have major wiring issues up in the control box you can do all kinds of damage by doing this. This is why there are trouble shooting procedures that need to be followed in proper order to find the problems before creating more problems. That is my disclaimer so when you do jump the starter and the magic smoke comes out somewhere do not say you were not forewarned!

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry about the meds.

Can you explain what is wrong? E.g. two dead batteries, or batteries ok, but it won't crank, never has started...?

All the best,

2Pbfeet
Batteries are fine. Starts right up when you jump the starter...and runs great. Just can't start it with the main switch. The switch is either bad, a fuse is out, or a relay is bad.

jamawieb

If no one has messed with it by changing wires around it should be a simple fix. There are plenty of people on here that want to help including me. Let us know exactly what is going on and if you have a multimeter we can help

rickf

Batteries are fine. Starts right up when you jump the starter...and runs great. Just can't start it with the main switch. The switch is either bad, a fuse is out, or a relay is bad.
OK, so you have already been jumping the starter so you already know how to do that. The fact that it runs fine means that nothing bad is going to happen. We did not have that info with the first question when I gave my somewhat crass answer. I agree that the problem is the switch or a bad wire connection somewhere. This should be a simple fix. I will leave it to the guys that know the 800 series well but I suggest you follow their advice to the letter. There is an exact order that needs to be followed. Jumping around in a diagnosis is not good and just prolongs things.

jamawieb

Iv had a couple of generators where a wire came out of a connector on the relays. Especially on the side near the gauges. Seems they put the wires to tight and the movement of putting the gauge panel up and down will make them come loose. Just need to pull on the wires gently to see if they pull out on all of them on relays.

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no fuse, in the start circuit. Tell us what happens when you place the S1 in the start position. A video would be better. If the S10 is in the normal position, and S1 is in the start position, will the engine spin over?
Having issues downloading video....dead crank switch makes click noise when placed in crank position.

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ultimately, is there anyone in the San Antonio area who can work on this? I can put it behind my humvee and bring the sucker to you....have cash...$$$$

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Iv had a couple of generators where a wire came out of a connector on the relays. Especially on the side near the gauges. Seems they put the wires to tight and the movement of putting the gauge panel up and down will make them come loose. Just need to pull on the wires gently to see if they pull out on all of them on relays.
They all look nice and tight...the wires on the gauge panel.

Guyfang

Staff member
Having issues downloading video....dead crank switch makes click noise when placed in crank position.
Now we are getting somewhere.

1. Remove the control panel door.
2. Remove the control panel top.
3. First look for critters and critter nests.
4. Look for something that looks like this. All the way to the back, Left side. This is K2.
1694975788049.png

This is what you will see on the K2. Remove wire #114C. Tape it up. Then take a piece of wire and go to the slave rcpt, on the right side of the gen set. Have someone stick the wire into the hole. Its +24 VDC. They need to hold it there. You, being careful not to let the other end of the wire touch metal, go back to K2 and touch the terminal that you took off wire #114C. When you do that, the engine should turn over. Tell us what happens?
1694975973642.png

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now we are getting somewhere.

1. Remove the control panel door.
2. Remove the control panel top.
3. First look for critters and critter nests.
4. Look for something that looks like this. All the way to the back, Left side. This is K2.
View attachment 906118

This is what you will see on the K2. Remove wire #114C. Tape it up. Then take a piece of wire and go to the slave rcpt, on the right side of the gen set. Have someone stick the wire into the hole. Its +24 VDC. They need to hold it there. You, being careful not to let the other end of the wire touch metal, go back to K2 and touch the terminal that you took off wire #114C. When you do that, the engine should turn over. Tell us what happens?
View attachment 906119
Gunna give it a shot. Thank you!!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks