• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Byrnie Mac's M998

ByrnieMac

Hello everyone! Just got my HMMWV in so I figured I would go ahead and start my thread. So far, every step of buying this truck has been a complete pain. When I was trying to pay GovPlanet after the auction, a hurricane hit my area and all the banks closed down 4 days before... had to call for an extension. Then when the EUC finally cleared (took just over 9 weeks), I got notice in the midst of taking my last final/finishing last paper, graduating college, packing my house, loading the truck, driving to Charleston, unloading the truck, unpacking the house and starting my new job. All of that, from the last final to starting work took all of 5 days. Anyways, I'd rather be busy as **** than not know what is next and not having income for my family.

The M998 is awesome, but needs some things which I will be sourcing soon. It needs seats, a top, doors, tires, windshield wiper arms, and probably a power steering pump. I'm sure that list will grow, but the odo only shows 122 miles on it, and will be a great truck once I'm done. So here she is!
hmmwv1.jpghmmwv2.jpghmmwv3.jpg
I'll have more/better photos with the coming updates!

EnteJager

The odometer reading means nothing. They get swapped out and changed when they break all the time. Mine had an installed date and milage when replaced in sharpy on the backside. So, my 12k mile hummer actually had 22k on it when the speedo was swapped out. Unless it came from a cave in Norway. LOL

Good luck with it.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the madness!

Can you post closer pictures of the mount on the back right? Almost looks like a radio mount more than a antenna mount?

Southern Metals in Wilmington, NC is a scarp yard dismantling some hmmwv and selling parts. Well worth you checking out their location. Some other threads here about them.

fllaw1

Looks great, congrats! As many told me on here, it will become an addiction you'll see. Don't settle just on one price always on parts, look around and compare.

To aviod issues First!
1. Check all your fluids, gear oil on the hubs as well!
2. Check for smart start conversion under dash. If not get one and convert.
3. Glow plugs check and replace if needed.
4. Grounding Harness

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great, congrats! As many told me on here, it will become an addiction you'll see. Don't settle just on one price always on parts, look around and compare.

To aviod issues First!
1. Check all your fluids, gear oil on the hubs as well!
2. Check for smart start conversion under dash. If not get one and convert.
3. Glow plugs check and replace if needed.
4. Grounding Harness
a little something on these ground harnesses , never seen one installed in an issue hmmwv...while it can't hurt, I do wonder whether it helps any.

glow plugs, I always start with new...you have no idea how old the ones installed are, that and the S3 conversion...no issues. As I've posted before, the S3 is ground fault tolerant, also has glow tip heat control. I have posted numerous times the advantages of the S3 box...it's not one or two things...here it is one more time.

S3 Enhancements over the EESSA backwards compatible design with improvements for known field issues:Elimination of pulsing headlamps and voltmeter gauges.Immunity to glow plug re-activation when horn is used.Provides for lower current starter switch as well as starter lockout while engine is running.Does not flash the wait-to-start lamp during default mode operation to avoid operator confusion.Operates with same temperature sensor as used for the EESS.Immunity to relay icing.Improved glow plug tip temperature control.Vehicle ground fault tolerant.Newly developed sealing system to meet stricter requirements. Meets more severe EMI requirements.Over current protection added for the wait-to-start and brake warning lamp circuits.Withstands ESD for packaging and handling classification test of SAE J1113-13 to +25kV.Uses chemical agent resistant coating (CARC).Diagnostics through SAE J1939 compliant data bus.Compatible with other SAE J1939 components.Monitors and records unit parameters as an additional aid for system troubleshooting.Electrical serialization providing for lot traceability.Field reprogrammable to meet future enhancements and upgrades utilizing existing equipment.Field useable application for Maintenance Support Device (MSD) is available for the S3 and vehicle diagnostics.S3 Diagnostic CapabilitiesThe S3 has the capability to monitor the following fault conditions and report them over a J1939 CAN bus:System voltage too high for operation.System voltage too low for operation. Glow plugs not connected / open.Glow plugs shorted.Glow plug driver failure.Temperature probe fault high or low.Glow Plug Controller used in place of Temperature Probe.Wait-to-start lamp over current.Brake lamp over current.Relay fault.Gate voltage too low.

NormB

How can I tell if it has the new S3 conversion?
Look under left side of dash (forward of ignition/light switch), box is bolted under engine compartment just to the right of the windshield washer fluid container.

If your box has a small connector covered with a cap/chain, it's an S3.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the madness!

Can you post closer pictures of the mount on the back right? Almost looks like a radio mount more than a antenna mount?

Southern Metals in Wilmington, NC is a scarp yard dismantling some hmmwv and selling parts. Well worth you checking out their location. Some other threads here about them.
The bracket on the right is for an HF antenna....called the witches hat.
I have that bracket.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks