• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

C Turbo or D Turbo????

lakeviewgang

First off I want to say thanks to everyone for the loads of information on this site. ive been able to answer 99% of my questions just by searching old threads. Now for my question. I Picked up a turbo from a friend, he knew nothing about it as far as what it was made for. as far as i can see it looks like a turbo for the deuce, but i'm just not sure. my truck doesnt have a turbo on it so i have nothing to compare to. any help on identifying this would be great. also, where is the best place to buy a kit to install this on my deuce? I'm new to posting things to the site so i hope the pictures work.

Attachments

lakeviewgang

Thanks guys!! that's what i was hoping for. the truck is already obnoctiously loud and this will just add to it. now to find all the parts and get it installed.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Several members are selling clean air kits. Citizensoldier rings a bell. The clean air kit will have everything but the turbo.

TIGERFANS2

Thanks guys!! that's what i was hoping for. the truck is already obnoctiously loud and this will just add to it. now to find all the parts and get it installed.

Some likes the C, some don't. I get compliments from a long time deuce driver (USA motorpool/driver circa '55) every time he hears mine. Sure is different than his D...

likes mine I do....... :-D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I bought my last M275A2 from Bruce Kubu, he had an NOS "C" turbo installed. The whistle on the truck was shrill. I'm sure it bothered some folks dental work. Would love to have that noisy sucker on my "go to" truck right now. I would say $200 for the turbo alone would be a Felony. I still have 2 more "C" turbos, one as a backup on a can motor and one that is a little tired and needs to be rebuilt. Hint, when installing that turbo, make sure the last thing you put on before firing it, is the oil feed tube. Put some oil inside the turbo then hook it up and start it. I use GM EOS or fresh bar oil from my chain saws.

DUECE-COUPE

i would like to know if the "D" turbo is a better turbo or if it is just quieter. i had a "C" and upgraded to a "D" after i got tired of the "C" whistle..

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Define, "better".

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The difference is almost insignificant. Any differences pointed out by members jwaller or ken, you can believe. Most all other comments (mine included) are seat of the pants comparisons. Get the turbo you like, adjust fuel rate accordingly. I love "C" turbos but keep a "D" on my crane deuce so I don't drive the neighborhood batty when it runs for hours at a time.

MO MV man

My neighborhood (and all points surrounding me) is inundated with hot-rodded diesel pickups (Cummins, Duramax, Power Stroke) so whistling turbos are commonplace.

But if I were to guess? I'd say my C is probably the loudest and proudest. [thumbzup]

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Duece coupe. The D is a better turbo. It has a bigger bearing, extra heat shield for the bearing housing. And a larger turbine and compressor wheel. And on the flow bench it will move more CFM's. One easiy way to tell the difference between the two is, The "C" will have a band clamp holding the bearing housing to the exaust gas casing. The "D" model will have 4 bolts and strap clamps holding it's bearinghousing to the exaust gas casing.

Orionspath

I too aspired to the whistler (Charlie Model) and once I had picked up my second truck with one, I put it on "Sandy". Loved it ever since. I noticed earlier this month on my annual 250 mile (one way) trip to Delaware that the "whistle" at higher RPM's seems to almost buzz. Is this something to be concerned about or is this an inherent trait on long distances?

Attachments