• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"C" Turbo Rebuild

Craig C

How difficult is it to rebuild a "C" turbo and who has the rebuild kits??

Or is there a better choice for a replacement turbo that drops right in?

Mine is starting to leak oil out the exhaust stack. . . ****.

Thanks,

Clay James

Make sure it's not blow by. My trucks get it bad with lots of idling and low(er) speed operation. A run on the highway for a while clears it right up.

Craig C

Well the blow by may be what mine has. Then there is not that much, just at the top and it has accumulated over the last several years......I seldom drive it, mostly start it up, move it out of the building and let it idle for 5-10 minutes, check fluid levels, tires, air tanks,belts etc. then put it back inside.

Maybe a run or two up and down the highway and see if it really starts throwing oil.

DieselBob

A good highway/country road run can do wonders for these engines. I try to take mine out on a nice run every month or so. Quite often what you see at the stack end is not oil but a mix of soot and moisture that has collected in the exhaust pipes because it hasn't been run long and hot enough to burn it off. Just a thought before you throw parts and money at it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, sounds like you have "wet stacking". Get her out and run it for an hour. Not letting it get up to temp is just as bad as letting her sit.

Clay James

My 109 will even start leaking oil out of where the exhaust manifolds join and the turbo. When I first got my A2 it had sat on the GL lot for a long time and I was driving it around my ranch until I got it registered and it had oil running down the stack and all over the fender. When I took it on the road the first time it burned it off quickly, but man was it smelly and smokey for the first 10 min. It comes back on my 109 occasionally because I don't have it on the road nearly as often as my A2. I think one of the TMs or PM magazine articles even says to drive it hard on the road with a load for a while to clear it up.

Speedwoble

Not to make you paranoid(I bet it is wet stacking too) but if you have any reason to suspect seals in your turbo, you may want to keep a board handy to suffocate the engine in case of a runaway.
Note, it would have to be oil seals leaking on the inlet side to runaway....

Craig C

Not to make you paranoid(I bet it is wet stacking too) but if you have any reason to suspect seals in your turbo, you may want to keep a board handy to suffocate the engine in case of a runaway.
Note, it would have to be oil seals leaking on the inlet side to runaway....
Where does one apply the board.....over the intake I would say but had to ask.

On further inspection I noticed the substance was black, soot, but it is mixed with an oily substance....so. And on the inside of the engine compartment on the firewall and underside of the hood it is oiled lightly.....like it was spraying off the turbo...........so maybe this weekend I'll open it up and start it up to see what it does. Ideas????

Thanks again for everyone's help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks