• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

C Turbo vs. D Turbo

ilovemyblazer

Hey guys, Im looking to get my first Deuce. And I just got some quick questions.

I know that the C turbo is nick named "the whistler" which is great, I love that turbo sound! But I've read that the D turbo makes slightly more power, which I like even more!!

So, which do you prefer more? C or D?

AND, How do I tell by looking at a deuce which turbo it has??

Thanks!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To tell which is which I raise the hood on both my trucks and look.

If you don't have a truck or two you can search the site as there are lots of pics of the differences as well as complete arguments on which does what for an engine.

usmcm35a2

The c and d are shaped a little different. I have a D on mine and its still a dog. Try doing a search for pics of the two and you will see the difference. I'm sure somebody will more expertise will chime in. I believe the c with have Schwitzer cast in it.

lawdog1623

the d is a little more robust in appearance, where as the c is obviously slimmer in appearance. Having said that, i love the whislter sound of the c model, but mine has a d and i wont be changing it unless it dies on me. From what ive seen, most seem to think the difference is minimal between the two as far as hp output goes.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
By doing an advanced search for "whistler picture" in the Deuce Forum there where a page of posts.

Here is one. Look at post #3

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/22020-whistler-turbo.html

That is why we are always harping on searching. Almost every question has been answered many times.

While alot of people like the C for the whistle, after a few minutes of the sound it gives me a headache. I'll take a D anyday just for the no headache

Last edited:

pegasus55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm no expert...just speaking from experiences and what I've read and heard - there doesn't appear to be any appreciable difference between C or D turbo capability. The "C" supposedly spools up quicker as a result of slightly smaller size, and the "D" may have more high end airflow capability, but I've yet to see any actual dyno stats comparing the two. There's a lot more to turbo capability than simple outside dimensions. From what I've been able to gather, engine performance on our LDT's is affected more from the fuel delivery setup than by a "C" or "D" turbo. I've read that the turbos were added more to clean up the smoke than to increase hp. I like my "C" and it's distinctive sound that announces "Deuce coming!" but that's just a personal preference. 2cents

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I had a C, then it needed a rebuild kit. In a pinch, I bought a D. Best decision I made. Bearable on long drives, a tad more power, 2psi more boost, and 50-100F lower EGTs. Lost the "whistle" at idle though. But I'll take the other improvements over that any day.

F18hornetM

That small amount of power i dont really need, that sound turns heads. Ill stick with the "C" although I have a "D" for a spare on a spare engine..just hope i never have to use it. The sound doesnt bother me at all. On longer driving, i just wear ear protection, around the town, not needed. But like everything, to each their own :beer:

197thhhc

Like everyone says... The noise is the difference, otherwise they are pretty close to the same. the turbo was added to cut down the smoke. Anyway you slice it you have a 130 horsepower engine. The power comes from adjusting the fuel. With all that being said the first time I drove my deuce with the whistler to work the old Viet Nam vet that cleans cars in the back came running out with a huge smile and said he hadn't heard that sound since the early 1970s and as soon as he heard it that day he knew exactly what was rumbling into the lot. To me thats what make a c turbo my favorite.

Last edited:

Coal Cracker

I had a D and didnt mind it, but I wanted a C and I love it. No noticeable power diffrence, the C spools quicker and the D gets 2psi more boost, EHH, you'll never notice the power, find yourself a nice truck dont look for c or d yet, you can allways swap out ,it's easier than fixing rust or dropping a trans. good luck

Kohburn

I swapped my C for a D - powerband shifted maybe 400 rpm higher, and lower EGT's
but best of all is not going deaf at highway speeds.

I like the whistler for moving around at low speed, but for anything else it gets old

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "D" has a extra heat shield between the turbine and the bearing housing. A much larger bearing. And wider piston ring seals. I have modified many C casings for guys here to get them to flow as good as a "D" . If you like the sound then stick with a C. If you work your truck then get a D. The D will usally out last the engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks