• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

C7 ACERT inline 6 cylinder 330hp diesel

925A1

Could this Cat engine be used to re power upgrade in 900 series 5 ton or increase the power in a truck equipped with Cat 3116? The 330 H.P. C7 looks like a good advance if it can be installed.

Thanks,

Mark.

sandcobra164

It could be done, however it's going to be some work. It's an electronic diesel and it melts injector tips quite frequently. These motors are in the FMTV's and MRAP Cougar, M-ATV variants. I personally hate this motor for more reasons than the injectors but others mileage may vary.

Westech

CPL
He is correct on injectors... we replace a few. But the extreme heat and 1000's of hours of Idle time and using JP8 may lead to this. Other then that there good engines. And the ones used in the military trucks are no longer 330 HP. They were D rated to 270HP due to some people braking drive line parts.

spicergear

I forget which of the ACERT engines it was, might have been the C9 but they seemed to be a bit problematic and with some odd mechanical things happening. One popular one was for turbo's to break off because the surface of the backside of the casting on the exhaust manifold was still slightly tapered and the fastener couldn't sit flat and that would put extra stress on the bolt...eventually they'd begin to fail. There was another rocker problem, iirc, that would hurt the head bad enough to require a new casting and they were VERY expensive. Just do some digging...before you dive in.

sandcobra164

Westech,
I'm referring to injectors melting on home station trucks (Ga National Guard) running Diesel from the local fuel stations, some with less than 5,000 miles and not many hours of idling time. I've done quite a few injectors, I've even made my own puller by welding a U bolt to a slide hammer. It can be a pain to start the nuts on bottom of the collar when pulling an injector but it makes the job so much easier than trying to pry them out. I understand CAT makes a tool for this but my company didn't want to spend the money on it.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a M35A3 with a 3116 cat and a 2000, F650 with a C7, 3126B. These engines are interchagable, you can bolt a C7 acert in a M35A3. You found all those cat motors coming up for auction.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks