CA law

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

Saberr

Well, i got a m37 54 w/w unit. Runs and drives just fine (even had a state title). Went to dmv, got it all registered and at the last minute i was informed that it may not be road legal because of being military.... Apparently in 2017 CA passed a law that dmv can only register ex military vehicles for off road use only (any ex military vehicle). Now i have to go to CHP to get an inspection, and they will decide its fate.... Oh ya, and no vehicles even registered are grandfathered in, may be asked to come in for verification upon registration renewal.

CMPPhil

Hi

Hope this not a preview of coming soon to a DMV near you?

But I have a question has California banned Ford Model Ts , Hot Rods, Beach Buggies etc from the road as well? Wonder how the are going to handle the civilian Dodge Power Wagon of the same period?

I wish you luck.

Cheers Phil

MAdams

I would try another DMV. I had one DMV lady tell me the same thing but the memo she showed me only applied to AM General because of the humvee. I went back a week later and had my 5 ton registered no problem.

8madjack

Actually despite my previous Outburst, I recently just renewed my 5-ton registration with historic plates no hassle whatsoever and with the car culture being so huge in this state I seriously I doubt they're going to start coming after people who are already registered at least. Percy I would love to start seeing some mtvr on the road and I've seen a few Humvees around in my area, but my area is pretty conservative maybe they march to a different beat.

You would think with the difficulties some people are having with registration that the Humvee prices would be stagnant. I think all MV sales would be stagnant if they really start making registration impossible.

Weller

I see 5-tons with historic plates driving through Kern County and I've seen an increase in on road HMMWVs as well. I'm having same thoughts that prices would be stagnant but that doesn't appear to be the case watching sales out of Yermo.

8madjack

Never use the "M" word at the DMV.
Yeah that's true, I already had a title when I transferred mine I just hand in the paperwork and shut up. And renewal I do to the internet. If I ever try to do one in the future from an auction I'll probably just say something like 5 ton truck

Saberr

What threw me is they registered my military Jeep not too long ago an m38a1 about 2 years. Also the truck is last forestry so I was hoping that would be no issue. I was rather blindsided because I had to bring it in for visual inspection because of it being an out-of-state truck. I would be tempted to take it to another DMV, but the visual inspector already wrote me up paperwork for the CHP to look at it, so I believe that's in the records.

dvdrom

I'm working on trying to register mine in CA now. Had a vehicle registration company look it over and said that I need an inspection since the VIN is under 17 digits. They said they would forward my paperwork over and I would be contacted since I need a referral. Guess we will see where it goes from there...

Saberr

I just got mine done. (don't use M word at dmv (its a farm truck)). If you can, find a register that deals with/or has time in service, they are much more understanding. Its not like most of us are pulling up in humvees, troop trucks, or armored vehicles. Mine is under the 17 digit, and he called head office in Sacramento, and they had no issue at all with vin.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks