• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab/cargo cover

Black Ops

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Considering vinyl wasn't used for tops and cargo covers untill the late 80s or early 90s, your 66 would have come with canvas cargo cover, cab top and seat covers.
Vinyl covers were around in the 1970's. Before there were 3 color camo cab tops and 1 piece cargo covers with super rope there were regular green vinyl cab covers and 3 piece cargo covers that used regular rope like the canvas ones.

Heres a thread to check out. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/82494-vehicle-cargo-covers.html

AGE|kshaufl

As they rolled off of the assembly line they were Canvas. But almost all of the trucks were upgraded to the vinyl at some point in their career.

Canvas has the look and smell of the old military. But IMHO is a lot harder to take care of and is a lot heavier. Canvas requires the mil-coat stuff (can't remember what it was called) to keep it from rotting away.

All of the rebuilds that I drove in the USMC had vinyl cargo covers and cab covers.

I would go vinyl.

quickfarms

It depends on how the vehicle is stored.

If you are storing the vehicle inside of a building than canvas is an option but if it is stored outside or in a shed I would not use canvas.

I grew up in a house that was 6 houses down the street from a National Guard Armory that happened to be a mech/transport division. I spent a good deal of time as a kid hanging out there BSing with the supply seargent and in the back yard climbing all over M38s, M35A2s and the 2 different M113A1 APCs they had. I got to ride in jeeps, deuces with whistlers and in 1979, I got to throw on a set of fatigues and ride on an APC in our town's Loyalty Day Parade. This was from about 1974 through about 1983 and I NEVER saw a single piece of vinyl on or in any of those musty-smellin canvas-covered green beasts. Even as a kid, I can remember lookin at the bogie assembly under a deuce and thinking it would be cool to lose that setup, have a single axle with a smaller bed and shorter frame. Little did I know I was invisioning a bobbed deuce at about 9 or 10 years old. I had the green fever WAY early in life. :driver:

houdel

I was in the MA ARNG from 1969 to 1976 or so. We actually still had M135s and M211s in service when I joined. Soon thereafter we upgraded to M35s. All of our trucks were plain old single color OD green with 3 piece OD canvas cargo covers. All the lettering on the trucks was in about 3" high white paint and IIRC we had huge white stars on the doors. Hope this helps.

chupa

I grew up in a house that was 6 houses down the street from a National Guard Armory that happened to be a mech/transport division. I spent a good deal of time as a kid hanging out there BSing with the supply seargent and in the back yard climbing all over M38s, M35A2s and the 2 different M113A1 APCs they had. I got to ride in jeeps, deuces with whistlers and in 1979, I got to throw on a set of fatigues and ride on an APC in our town's Loyalty Day Parade. This was from about 1974 through about 1983 and I NEVER saw a single piece of vinyl on or in any of those musty-smellin canvas-covered green beasts. Even as a kid, I can remember lookin at the bogie assembly under a deuce and thinking it would be cool to lose that setup, have a single axle with a smaller bed and shorter frame. Little did I know I was invisioning a bobbed deuce at about 9 or 10 years old. I had the green fever WAY early in life. :driver:
Lucky kid!

chupa

I was in the MA ARNG from 1969 to 1976 or so. We actually still had M135s and M211s in service when I joined. Soon thereafter we upgraded to M35s. All of our trucks were plain old single color OD green with 3 piece OD canvas cargo covers. All the lettering on the trucks was in about 3" high white paint and IIRC we had huge white stars on the doors. Hope this helps.
That's just how I want to depict my future M35, as an in-country 'Nam truck.

houdel

Hello - looking for a cab and cargo canvas covers for a 1969 Duce and Half - Vietnam style - curious if the tie downs was elastic cords or rope - what thickness ? Ralph Jones
IIRC, black rope about 3/8" but I'm not positive of the size. Def not elastic cords though!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks