• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab Heater Modification

rustystud

Okay...here are the pics of my mount so far. Sorry it took so long...I had to figure out how to adjust picture size to upload them.
You still loose about 8" of space and your still dealing with the mounting frame. If you mount the heater straight to the firewall you open up so much more space. But it looks good !

bonedoc

You still loose about 8" of space and your still dealing with the mounting frame. If you mount the heater straight to the firewall you open up so much more space. But it looks good !
I wasn't comfortable with mounting it on the firewall. This seemed like a good compromise. More clearance and space than the stock location especially with the smaller heater box. I can still reach things fairly easily and if it is a really large job...well 4 bolts and the heater is removed and out of the way....LOL

rustystud

006.jpg011.jpg012.jpg016.jpg017.jpg

I finally installed my auxiliary cab heater. I still need to install the bulkhead fittings and 90 degree heater fittings. I'm waiting on the fittings and 5/8" silicone hose. Since I was mounting it so close to the firewall I decided to put a screen on the air-intake (picture 1 ) . Since this was a heater out of a 800 series 5 ton it came with these nice brackets (picture 2 ) . In picture 3 you see the 5/16" rivnuts I used on the firewall. I didn't want to have to rely on someone holding a wrench in the engine compartment if it ever needs changing. This way I can easily replace it myself. I also need to install the output funnel to move the flow of air into the center of the cab.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the above ideas seem worthy of consideration but to me bring in cold air from outside
demands a lot out of the stock heater. I plan on piping this air inlet to the inside of
the engine's radiator thus capturing some of the waste heat.

Please let me have any comments on this idea.

74M35A2

All the above ideas seem worthy of consideration but to me bring in cold air from outside demands a lot out of the stock heater. I plan on piping this air inlet to the inside ofthe engine's radiator thus capturing some of the waste heat.Please let me have any comments on this idea.
Maybe WildChild467 would post a pic or so. He shortened his heater core box, and then mounted the entire thing inside his cab to recirc warm air. He did a really clean job, it looks like it came from the factory that way. I could not believe how well it works. Even in cold Michigan winters, you can't put the blower on high or you will have to roll the window down. Blower is usually toggling between Lo and Off to maintain a comfortable cab temp. For anybody that does not have enough heat, they could consider this way. I don't think he has had any fogging issues of the windows. These trucks just leak too much air for that to likely be an issue. He has the cable working to direct it to defrost or floor outlets. I have also seen a pic where a few have mounted the fuel fired 30k BTU heater inside the cab under the dash. That makes it nice to get in, crank it up, be warm, and go.

rustystud

All the above ideas seem worthy of consideration but to me bring in cold air from outside
demands a lot out of the stock heater. I plan on piping this air inlet to the inside of
the engine's radiator thus capturing some of the waste heat.

Please let me have any comments on this idea.
My auxiliary heater doesn't pull any outside air. That's why I put that screen on it. I figured it would heat faster if it was just reheating the cab air. My original heater does pull outside air though.

rustystud

004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg001.jpg

I got the bulkhead fittings installed today. Now just waiting on the 90 degree fittings and hose. The last picture shows where I will be getting my water supply from.

bonedoc

Finally got my heater box hooked up to my cooling system so now atleast the cooling system work is done. Still need to finish hooking up the heater kit in the cab, diverter box, defroster ducts, etc. Made up some simple brackets and used rubber lined straps to secure the heater hoses in place and keep them out of harms way. Also have the coolant filter, new temp sending unit, and heater plug installed.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks