• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab Heater Power

jime

I'm installing a cab heater in my Deuce and I see that the power comes off the horn circuit. Should I be looking for an unused connector in the wiring harness? If so, where will I find it? (Don't say "In the horn circuit!":?)

Thanks for leading the blind by the hand!

gungearz

I pulled one wire for the 12v low from the first battery then a 24v from the second battery. No need for a converter. Works just fine and I never had any battery problems. Just don't tap into the batteries for everything. If so get a converter...

AN/ARC186

In most cases you'll have to install a "Y" adapter in the horn circuit for power.
You can also pull off the batteries directley although if you do that I recommend installing a circuit breaker or fuse inline.

gungearz

In most cases you'll have to install a "Y" adapter in the horn circuit for power.
You can also pull off the batteries directley although if you do that I recommend installing a circuit breaker or fuse inline.
Correct.... I shouldve included that. You should never run direct power with out a fuse

steelandcanvas

AN/ARC186 is correct. The proper place to get power for asessories is to "Y" the power going into the horn circuit breaker. Just remember this is a constant hot, so be cautious about leaving items on without the engine running. Jay at Saturn Surplus has the breaker, and Erik at Erik's Surplus has the connectors to make it look like the Guys in the motorpool did it. Hope this helps.

15amp

ELECTRICAL CONNECTORS & TERMINALS

Last edited:

jime

Awesome guys! Thanks for the great info! I've got the breaker and maybe enough connectors. I just gotta trace the horn circuit. That shouldn't be to tough.

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

Awesome guys! Thanks for the great info! I've got the breaker and maybe enough connectors. I just gotta trace the horn circuit. That shouldn't be to tough.
The horn circuit and circuit breaker are above the steering column on the firewall in the engine compartment. Find your hot and pig-tail it to another circuit breaker to use for your heater. My heater breaker (when I purchased the truck) was attached to the inside of the dashboard to the right of the steering column. Due to it being such a pain to work under the dash, I recommend the engine compartment for your breaker placement, and your resistor if you're doing the low/high speed motor switch. There should already be holes drilled in your firewall for additional circuit breakers. The photo I attached shows how I pig-tailed my breakers together. I also put in a spare for future asessories.

Attachments

Last edited:

eagle4g63

I did the same thing with my heater as steelandcanvas.....but before you do that did you look under the dash right inside the drivers door? I keep seeing people ask for power for a heater and I noticed that on my deuce I have a perfectly good switched plug just hanging there right where the heater controls would hang!?!?!?!?! Seems wierd that there would be a wire there and nothing hooked to it. I did originally hook my heater to it but with the arctic heater you need to have a constant hot to let the thing cool down so had to re think the whole hook thing.

steelandcanvas

I did the same thing with my heater as steelandcanvas.....but before you do that did you look under the dash right inside the drivers door?
No, I didn't look for any available wires under the dash, my truck came with the heater already installed. I just re-fed the heater circuit breaker from my pig-tail set up. Good idea though to take a meter and check for available assessory power already under the dash. Did you ever find out where (what circuit) your switched plug came from? I'm guessing off the ignition (power switch)?

eagle4g63

Never chased it down, figured I would later if I found something else I wanted to hook up. Like I said I had to hook up like you so I had a constant hot for the arctic set up.

I was actually asking the OP if they had looked under the dash.....sorry to confuse you with that one:-D

Nobody I have asked about the wire on my truck has given me any idea about what it was for.......I just figured it was for the regular coolant heater.

jime

The horn circuit and circuit breaker are above the steering column on the firewall in the engine compartment. Find your hot and pig-tail it to another circuit breaker to use for your heater. My heater breaker (when I purchased the truck) was attached to the inside of the dashboard to the right of the steering column. Due to it being such a pain to work under the dash, I recommend the engine compartment for your breaker placement, and your resistor if you're doing the low/high speed motor switch. There should already be holes drilled in your firewall for additional circuit breakers. The photo I attached shows how I pig-tailed my breakers together. I also put in a spare for future asessories.
I already stuck it (and the resitor) under the dash:(. I like your idea better, but that was a lot of contorting to get under the dash! I think I'll leave it. The spare is a great idea. That could be the dome light.

jime

I did the same thing with my heater as steelandcanvas.....but before you do that did you look under the dash right inside the drivers door? I keep seeing people ask for power for a heater and I noticed that on my deuce I have a perfectly good switched plug just hanging there right where the heater controls would hang!?!?!?!?! Seems wierd that there would be a wire there and nothing hooked to it. I did originally hook my heater to it but with the arctic heater you need to have a constant hot to let the thing cool down so had to re think the whole hook thing.
My only 'spare' under the dash was what turned out to be my 'low air warning' buzzer, un-hooked by the guard unit motorpool. I could use that, but I'd only get the blower until the air got up to pressure!

steelandcanvas

My only 'spare' under the dash was what turned out to be my 'low air warning' buzzer, un-hooked by the guard unit motorpool. I could use that, but I'd only get the blower until the air got up to pressure!
There's probably a can of worms you don't want to open here. Please re-connect your low air alarm buzzer. It is the only audible indication you'll get when your air pressure drops below 60 PSI. Use the time while the very irritating buzzer is on to do a walk around inspection. You will need the total Top Fuel Racer Flame Suit if you try and justify leaving it disconnected.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks