• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab Heater Question

Jinx

My cab heater needs some work and I can't seem to find the proper manual that covers the installation and use of the heater. Does anyone know which manual covers the cab heater?

The heater unit under the hood seems to be missing some screws. The screw holes are located around the top on sides of the heater unit. When I turn the heater fan on, air blows out of the screw holes instead of into the cab.

Plus I want to read up about the petcock on the top of that heater box. I assume I need to turn it counter clockwise to get radiator fluid into the heater core.

Could anyone help?

jblack6527

I do know the petcock on top turns counterclockwise to bleed the air out of the heater core. The screws are the same all the way around the box, you could take one out and go to a hardware store and pick up some replacements.

jarhead1086

Good timing guys. I tried working my heater today and it only blows cold air when I have my water temp up to 140 F. I only rode in the back of these things in high temps and this is the first time, since buying one, that I've rode in the front and needed a heater. I obviously must have the valves closed. TM 9-2320-361-10 just said to check adjustment of the defroster control handle and check for restrictions in the deflectors. No discussion of valves I could find. I was told that these non-arctic heaters aren't the greatest when they do work. This one came from Mountain Home AB in ID, but no arctic heater :cry: Diesel Bob, please share your mod if you decide to install a more substantial heater in the cab. I use a 5 gallon propane tank attached to my pioneer tool rack with a 12' line to a small space heater to keep the cargo area warm while I shoot. I hate loosing hot brass in the snow.

jarhead1086

Good timing guys. I tried working my heater today and it only blows cold air when I have my water temp up to 140 F. I only rode in the back of these things in high temps and this is the first time, since buying one, that I've rode in the front and needed a heater. I obviously must have the valves closed. TM 9-2320-361-10 just said to check adjustment of the defroster control handle and check for restrictions in the deflectors. No discussion of valves I could find. I was told that these non-arctic heaters aren't the greatest when they do work. This one came from Mountain Home AB in ID, but no arctic heater :cry: Diesel Bob, please share your mod if you decide to install a more substantial heater in the cab. I use a 5 gallon propane tank attached to my pioneer tool rack with a 12' line to a small space heater to keep the cargo area warm while I shoot. I hate loosing hot brass in the snow.

saddamsnightmare

January 2nd, 2010.

Check resources on here, article is titled "M35 Heater Installation", it will tell you everything you want to know about your stock cab heater.

Cheers,
Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

Jinx

Welcome to the site sir! My deuce came from Draper, Utah. Guess it's a small world. ;-)

jarhead1086

The heater definitely works better when the valve is open and fluid can flow, thanks all, but I can see how it wouldn't defrost windows or keep you warm when you are north of the jetstream. It was warm today, in the mid-30's, and the cab barely got room temp. I would like something that could dry me off and get my fingers working quicker than this luke warm air. I'll read the article and learn some more Kyle, thanks.

saddamsnightmare

January 3rd, 2010.

Jarhead1086:

I may not be as far north as you are, but if you can get a winter front for the M35A2 (they turn up on EBAy and Boyce probably has them out your way), the engine will run at its normal temperature (mine is about 179*F winter or summer) and will put out more heat on the road. At present Saddam's Nightmare has no cab heater, but running on the road in the low 30*F range here, she will almost heat the cab with the residual engine heat passing through the firewall.
In the last couple of weeks, one of the Steel Soldiers members has come up with a 20000 BTU hot water heater for the M151 that can be mounted under the dashboard and does not draw in outside air. The heater is $69.00 at Army Surplus Warehouse, and you will need a 4 ohm 400 watt resistor for fan speed control (resistor is mounted inside cab on metal brackets to dissapate heat generated), and a 3 way SP switch (off/low/high) for fan control, and you will also need longer heater hoses and two fittings to pass the hoses through the firewall. Without drawing make up air from the outside, this heater should be equivalent to a 30000 BTU unit of the older type. You may have to rig up plumbing (ducting) to rig this unit into the defroster duct over on the drivers left cowl wall, and some time of diverter (probably an air gate gotten at a heating supply store) should do it for heat control.
I guess every duece is different, mine likes hot weather and won't start below 32*F due to s starter solenoid problem, about to be corrected. One she starts she is not trouble as to heat or performance. Good luck on your search for heat.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

jarhead1086

Wow, the winter cover added 30 degrees to my water temp, so now the air is much warmer and the cab is comfortable. I am still tempted to try the M151 conversion in case I use myself for icefishing bait and really need to warm up. My girl starts without a block heater in the 10's and 20's. Haven't tried it colder than that. Running green diesel w/o additives. Between this and the 73X civey wiper conversion I am a happy camper. Thanks all.

badgmc56

You need a radiator cover for the cab heater to work well. The engine temp will not rise enough with out it. The bolts that are missing in your heater are 5/16 course thread.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks