• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab heater W/ Reo OA-331 enigne.

Kaiser67M715

Hi all,
I have been thinking of how to put in a cab heater; really just something to keep frost and fog off the the window, as I don't plan to run it too much in the colder weather.

I'm just wondering if these early trucks came with an arctic kit that would supply an engine coolant supplied heater box. If so, any info on an install would be nice, so I can figure out the inlet and outlet on the engine. I didn't see anything mentioned in the parts manuals, or service maintenance manuals I have, for either a coolant supplied heater or a fuel heater. I assume the box would have been originally installed on fender then a hose routed through the firewall. I plan on trying to mount a small box inside the cab somewhere, and make my own piping. I guess what I really need to know is how to properly hook up the lines to the engine.

Thanks

rcflyer70

I've owned a M35 gasser for almost 25 years but never bothered to learn what REO engine it has. If this is the same in the 2.5 ton, I have the coolant heater in mine. I can get pictures and send them to you tomorrow.

stb64

The best manuals for gasser owners are the 1965 series of -209 TMs. Hard to find today, unfortunately. I got most of mine 25-30 years ago.
Even harder to find are the oldest, 1950s 9-819, and 9-8022 TMs.
The later, 1980,-81 series -209 TMs work, too, but the pictures suck.
The latest -361 series TMs are for multifuels only.
25nov2016 005.jpg25nov2016 004.jpg25nov2016 003.jpg25nov2016-2 002.jpg

Kaiser67M715

Could you possibly get a better photo of the bottom left two pictures? that would be really helpful, I think I located the right plug, but I'm not positive. I have several 1955 manuals, and while some do mention a cab heater, non actually describe install. I am positive I have the 8022, but I seemed to have misplaced it. And I have the 9-819 1952 version, this one I have looked through and found reference to, but no pictures for install, or remove procedure for the kit.

Thanks

Kaiser67M715

Awesome thanks! Looks like I was looking at the right plug then, I think I will be using a small Mack heater, it's about 8x8x10 with two outlets, a little less "authentic" but it should work great at keeping the Windows clear on colder mornings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DutchmanZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome thanks! Looks like I was looking at the right plug then, I think I will be using a small Mack heater, it's about 8x8x10 with two outlets, a little less "authentic" but it should work great at keeping the Windows clear on colder mornings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know its been a few years but did you ever get the heater installed? Curious about what you went with since I also have a gasser.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks