• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab reinforcement plate

renovate7

I can tell you from first hand experience that if you need to remove a hard top with the reinforcing plate in place you better be ready to heat and bend a wrench into an un-natural shape.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Without that plate in place firing a "Ma Deuce" off of your deuce can result in all kinds of damage.

We fired over 10k rounds off of a 5 ton at Fort Benning one time......there was no reinforcement plate in the cab.....a few days later we found several stress cracks throughout the cab......they had to send it to 3rd shop and have a new cab put on.

If you have one in your truck and want to take it out to sell pack a lunch.....many rivets holding it in.

wsucougarx

I'm adding one to my 109 as I plan on having a heavy duty rack over the cab with some weight in it. I figure the shifting weight of offroad driving would stress the cab somewhat. Just adding one for added insurance.

rwoods

I'm adding one to my 109 as I plan on having a heavy duty rack over the cab with some weight in it. I figure the shifting weight of offroad driving would stress the cab somewhat. Just adding one for added insurance.
Come on you can tell us - where did you get the gun? :p Ron

flyxpl

I would amagine that with all that weight up top that driving off road could be pretty abusive to the cab also . The ring alone weighs 300 pounds .

Flyingvan911

My deuce has gun ring mounts but no plate. I checked my cab as best i could for cracks. It looks like mine never had a ring on it and I could not see any cracks.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After owning 2 M-66 rings, I'd never mount one on my truck. They are super heavy. The plate's make great radio installation platforms. If you want a ring do M-49.

panshark

wsucougarx, I've been thinking about a mod along those same lines! If you get to fabbing yours up before I do, please post some pictures. I don't know how heavy duty mine would have to be, I think the most my rack would see would be some gas cans and chainsaws, maybe a spare tarp.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm buying an M-66 this spring, but I will be mounting a dummy m2hb, m-60, or minigun (whichever I can find first...) Should I still get the plate even though I will not be doing any live firing?
Those plates are incrediably heavy. (1/2" thick steel) YES.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shipping weight, including the box of rivets, bolts, and additional plates, is 47lbs. The plate thickness is actually closer to 1/4". I just shipped 2 to the Seattle area in 1 box and it was less than 100lbs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks