• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab roof rusted through holes

azpatriot

Purchased this deuce out of Imperial Beach,CA four or five years ago. Has a fair amount of rusted through surface area above the doors on both sides of vehicle. I am guessing I'll have to cut out the rusted areas with an air cutter. Have read threads here about using Metal fillers but would the preferred approach be to weld in a strip of new metal instead? Thoughts ? (Note: the black strip area above shown rust is black paint). Apologize about not having a closeup pic.

The cab otherwise is in excellent shape. No dents or other issues.

Attachments

abh3

I've got two from Eglin AFB (near the Gulf and a large bay) with the same problem. The tops are really bad above the doors and around the back along the same seam. Both these tops have squared corners/front above the windshield instead of the rounded corners, I've wondered if it isn't the maker that 'cut some corners' as much as the environment...

Anyway, I've thought about fiberglassing the rusted out areas after sandblasting but realize the best was is to roll out the wire welder and do it the right way. That much patching & welding of light gauge while keeping the tops straight is a PITA but them's the breaks playing with old army trucks, at least I won't have to have it smooth enough for glossy paint, LOL!

A

A/C Cages

Look into LabMetal.,.. kinda like bondo but its real metal when dried. You will need a grinder to smooth it off when done.
I own a metal fab shop, we use it alot here to fill holes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks