• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cab soft top bow repair/rebend

Alexsha

Can someone post a picture of the profile of the soft top cab bows? I'm cleaning my soft top and repairing the j channel and while I have it off I want to try and bend the bows back to the original shape.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The soft top supports are dependant on multiple parts coming together - everything from the windshield to the bar across the back where the supports connect back there, so it may not be a matter of bending the support rods. (I considered that and decided to leave well enough alone).

That being said, I'll pull one off my m925 tomorrow and take a picture and some measurements and post them here unless someone beats me to it.

Sail cleaner is what I've used on the canvas previously.

If you come up with an effective and reasonably cheap method of re attaching the front plastic to the canvas be sure and post it here. I was a big fan of the black gorilla tape until I got to Tucson - it held up through the heat of Houston and the ice storms in Tulsa for months at a time but the desert sun just melts it right off. My m925 is tape less and gaping 5" or so in the front.

Alexsha

To reattach the plastic to the canvas I'm using 2 things. First I'm using heavy duty 3m double sided tape to stick the plastic on to the canvas. Then I'm drilling 1/8" holes and using pop rivets. Hopefully it will hold up.

And gorilla tape is great... Until it melts and leaves all that sticky goop. Been soaking it in too gone and using a pressure washer. Still have residue but it's not sticky anymore so I might leave it. Much more pressure washing and I won't have any canvas left.

Anyone know anything better than canvak to re-waterproof?

searls84

Take it to a saddle/leather shop, they have sewing machines powerful enough to sew the plastic back on the canvas. I had that done to one of my soft tops, looks and works great now!

Alexsha

Well, I ended up bending the bows to something that seemed reasonable. Works well. I also riveted the soft top back to the plastic. I used a heavy duty 3M double sided tape to seal the fabric to the plastic, then drilled, and pop riveted.

20140918_125805.jpg20140918_125735.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks