• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab Soft Top Installation

skytroop232

I have a brand new Desert Tan top for the cab of the deuce. The problem is the plastic strip that goes in the windshield channel is too big to go in. It does not appear the channel has been damaged

Any tips on how to get the sucker on?

Thanks

gunboy1656

Guessing that your not trying to put the whole piece of plastic in the slot, the only way would be to open the metal strip up just a little bit to make it fit.

Yes I have seen some jeep owners try fitting all the plastic through, then they smacked their heads when I showed them the right way.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a very thin film of Vaseline on the rubber. If everything is lined up properly, it should slide in without difficulty. I always start at the drivers side, but that's not important. For the door channels, sometimes the fabric will overhang the rubber and try to go into the channel as well, which can jam it.

Truckoholic

Buy or make a new one. Sorry had to say it.
Yeah... That's what it's looking like I'm gonna have to do. Just got the truck home the other day and have been working too much to look at it much. It has a vinyl insulated top on it in pretty good shape, except that the plastic part that goes in the front channel, has come unsewn from the top, and broke up into a bunch of pieces, and the channel itself appears to be pretty much completely rusted out. I just haven't had the chance to look at it close enough to figure out if the channel is actually part of the windshield frame, of if the channel can be replaced separate from the windshield frame. The other day I saw a thread on here, and I could have sworn it was this one, where people posted links of good places to buy new inexpensive vinyl soft tops, but now I am not finding the links, and searching google so far on my slow internet connection has only yielded $450 tops.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
........and the channel itself appears to be pretty much completely rusted out. I just haven't had the chance to look at it close enough to figure out if the channel is actually part of the windshield frame, of if the channel can be replaced separate from the windshield frame......
Yes, the channel is spot welded to the frame. It can be replaced but you need to fab or find a custom-made replacement and do all the metal work.... A good take-out (outer)frame will probably come out cheaper.

..........so far on my slow internet connection has only yielded $450 tops.
Try here: GMA - Protection Technologies

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks