• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cab top reinforcement plate M35A3

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an M35A3 and have installed an M66 ring mount. All M35A3s come with the large cab reinforcement plate already installed. However, my A3 also has a top reinforcement plate the covers the rear top of the cab. As you can see in the photos, there is no room between the poles and the rear of this reinforcement plate for the soft top to be installed. I have seen similar plates on at least one five-ton and on all A3s. I also remember reading some M66 mounting instructions several years ago for the 5-ton (Marines) that mentioned installing the top reinforcement plate, but didn't have any diagrams. Obviously, this plate adds strength to the cab and I hate to remove it. Optionally, I can cut two semi-circles out of the plate to provide spacing between the plate and the two rear support poles, but I hesitate to do this. This is not covered anywhere in the TM that I can find. Is there a different top reinforcement plate to be used with the M66 ring mount? Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Attachments

flyxpl

I followed my own directions and just left it off. I thought about notching it , but figured if it was under stress is would crack where I notched it out for the legs . My 69A2 also has this top reinforcment with the softtop tucked under it .

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I followed my own directions and just left it off. I thought about notching it , but figured if it was under stress is would crack where I notched it out for the legs . My 69A2 also has this top reinforcment with the softtop tucked under it .
I was afraid of the top plate cracking as well if I notched it. However, it would still provide some support if I noted it. I also wondered about notching it and welding a short piece of angle to the top to help handle the stress where I notched it.

I have a 69 A2 as well, but it does not have the top plate, but it also has a hard top and not a soft top.

flyxpl

gussets would help . I would do what you feel comfortable with . If you don't feel comfortable leaving it off then don't .
After putting on my ring I see flexing in the cab in the corner of the door jamb area . The whole rear of the cab moves , especialy with the A 3 shake / wobble at higher speeds . I see flexing in the door jamb lower rear gusset . I see the gusset failing long before I see anything else cracking . The legs also give the soft top poor fit where the legs contact the top of the cab .

jwaller

that plate comes on all soft top trucks. the instructions that come with the cab plate mentions trimming 9' off the pass side end of it but it doesn't say anything about the top ever fitting right.

all my trucks have rings and that top plate, thousands of miles later and it's still there no cracks of issues, leave it alone and don't sweat it.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have the top plate, but I do have the reenforcing plate installed. The cab top doesn't fit like it did prior to the ring install. I have looked at others and they are the same, the top is just looped up to the edge of the cab and then back down so the ropes can anchor to the hooks. Is there another way to install the top?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the same issue with convoy light poles. I made some 'spacers' to move the poles out just enough to allow the top to pull down inbetween. I don't see why it wouldn't work for m66 poles?
I did the same with my convoy lights except I used a piece of steel pipe ripped in half.

m816

I did just as Recovry did. Adding spacers seems like the right modification. rather than cutting the top plate. I did it to two wreckers and a couple ring mount applications. Not addidng spacers prevent the soft top from fitting properly and rain and cold air rush in through that gap. I'm thinking that the manufactures of the ring mount just want a secure mount to the cab and forgot that trucks don't always operate with the cab open. I also never saw a ring mount that didn't cause some pain wether installing it or just manuvering around the truck. I always seem to bang my head on some part of it.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also never saw a ring mount that didn't cause some pain wether installing it or just manuvering around the truck. I always seem to bang my head on some part of it.
Ditto!

Ring mounts look cool, but they are a real pain to install and they get in the way and you are absolutely correct, they attract heads like a magnet. They also raise the height of the truck limiting entry into some buildings that previously had no clearance problems. All that being said, I love my ring mount.

flyxpl

Ditto!

Ring mounts look cool, but they are a real pain to install and they get in the way and you are absolutely correct, they attract heads like a magnet. They also raise the height of the truck limiting entry into some buildings that previously had no clearance problems. All that being said, I love my ring mount.
Yes they are a pain to put on . It never has really gotten in my way . I love mine ,makes the truck look better and worth more money . My only complaint is that it sure is a pain to lift that M2HB all the way up thier . Once up top it sure beats the heck out of shooting off of a tripod that is down in the vegitation where I can not see what I am shooting at . Makes shooting much safer too .

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm jealous. I love the Ma Deuce. I shot a lot of M2s in the Army, mostly turret mounted on M114s and M113s, but some tripod mounted as well. They just feel good when shooting and are actually fairly accurate when shooting singles.

flyxpl

I'm jealous. I love the Ma Deuce. I shot a lot of M2s in the Army, mostly turret mounted on M114s and M113s, but some tripod mounted as well. They just feel good when shooting and are actually fairly accurate when shooting singles.
Well being in IL mine is semi -auto so I shoot lots of singles . I bought it " right" for an investment , but just can't get myself to part with it . I am lucky to take it out once a year and usually only do so when I know a newbie is coming out to the hanger to shoot . It is a good first gun to shoot and convert that kid to pro-gun for life .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks