• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cable or Speedometer

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Driving down the road at 40 mph and the speedometer suddenly starts going from 0 to 60 rapidly. Do you suspect the speedometer or the cable first?

Westech

CPL
Cable will make it bounce like that. First thing to try is remove the cable and fill it up with ATF. Lubing it has worked for some and some I have had to replace.

shootist

I had the same issue a month ago. i greased the cable that didnt work. So i put my "spare" in. That didnt work. So i check the cable and it was fine. Put a brand new speedo in and its fine. The prob with the original was where the cable connected it was warn out. The spare speedo was just bad.

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cable

Is this as difficult to disconnect from the transfer case as in the M-715? They both use the same transfer case and it's a b*@^h on the 715!!!!

shootist

yes its a royal pain!

Have you checked the cable yet to make sure it is working?
before getting into removing it?

I had been told when mine was acting up its a cable issue.
But it wasn't- not to say yours isn't a cable issue.

but for the sake of sanity and bruised knuckles test it first (the cable.)
Then test the speedo, worst case- you may have to replace the cable,
best case you need a speedo and or some lube in the cable casing.

the other thing I found is if the cable "gets bent" or moved from its position during a resto or has to many angled turns from the transfer to the dash.....it will have problems.

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you checked the cable yet to make sure it is working?
before getting into removing it?
Checked today. Looks like the cable. I disconnected it at the speedometer and drove out the farm lane at a slow rate. The cable would start and stop and I could stop it from turning with my fingers for awhile. :(

I would assume it should turn steady even if just creeping along.

Can the core be pulled out while the casing is in place? I tried from the speedo end and no luck.

shootist

sorry for delay in responding. was prepping for Irene, and now I'm in the clean up mode.

I never tried to separate the cable from the casing.
I think it would be easier to just purchase a new one.
I have seen them from 60- to 85.00 depending who ya buy from.

have you tried to pull the cable out of the casing? to see if it was broken?

or something else- make sure the transmission end is seated all the way in the little drive.

to test the cable if ya already have it out connect one end to a drill and run it slowly
check the other to see if it is spinning. if so your cable is fine
and the issue may be your little drive gear on the housing
another very inexpensive part but no fun to install

Last edited:

n1vsm

Lube the speedo cable

Provided that the cable is in good shape, removing, cleaning, lubing & replacing the cable is easy. Getting it off and back on the tranny is a bit of a challenge, but that is the hardest part.

On the tranny end, there is a c-clamp on the cable. Remove this clamp, and the cable will slide out from the speedo end.

Check the cable very carefully - if there are any kinks or burrs, it is time to replace the cable & sheath.

If the cable is ok, then clean it & the sheath. I use a solvent that will get out any combination of glop, oil, dust, graphite, pebbles, whatever that was used the last time the cable was lubed.

I use some green goop named something like "ultra-brake lube" to grease the cable while sliding it back into the sheath from the speedo end. Notice that the end that came from the tranny has a tab on it & goes in first - the speedo end is square.

Time to put that c-clip back on the end of the cable.

Now comes the fun part! You need to align the tab on the tranny end of the cable with the slot. It helps to have a few extra knuckles on each finger, or a prehensiled wrist.

Attaching the speedo end of the cable will be a piece of cake after you get the tranny end on.

By the way, the cable itself is like a very long, thin slinky. Being able to stop it with your fingers is normal - but don't do it for too long, or you'll do permanent damage.

Good luck. Oh, and DON'T lube the speedo itself.

Checked today. Looks like the cable. I disconnected it at the speedometer and drove out the farm lane at a slow rate. The cable would start and stop and I could stop it from turning with my fingers for awhile. :(

I would assume it should turn steady even if just creeping along.

Can the core be pulled out while the casing is in place? I tried from the speedo end and no luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks