• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cables caught fire

ohfisherman

i am looking at buying a m1009. it started and drove fine for about twenty minutes. we parked it and tried to get it to start again and the starter would only click. the light for the glowplugs would not come on but i assume its because it was still warm. the guy who was with the truck was trying to get it to start. i was under the truck and i think he was holding the key forward. i noticed the cables started to smoke by the starter and then the caught fire. a small one but still fire. i got the fire out and the guy did the same thing and this time it was a bigger fire. i got that fire out and as we were standing there talking the truck turned over by itself. at that point i took the cables off of the batteries. i am guessing that the starter was bad and him holding the key forward heated up the terminals on the starter. there was some minor corrosion on the batteries. any ideas?

Westech

CPL
RE: issues

prob starter.. thats really the only thing that will dead short it out.(if the cable did not rub and ground out) take out the starter, have it checked, and replace all the cables. cant go wrong having it checked.

stampy

stuck starter solenoid. The solenoid acts as a switch if always on it continues to draw power(like trying to crank the engine) either that or a bad key switch

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replace the AC40 relay under the dash. When holding the key on(very bad idea if it is not turning over) this relay is known to stick and keep trying to turn the starter over.