• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cadmium plating question

tcody

I have a few odds and ends that I want to get cad plated to finish the body work on my 10 ton MAN truck. Can anyone recommend a place that does good work and is reasonably priced and doesn't mind small jobs?
Thanks

Mike_L

Like tcody, I have a few cup full of parts such as OE bolts & Douglas connector parts that I would like to have re-plated as well. I looked at the Caswell site and that is a neat system but I didn't plan on investing so much into a one-time, small quantity job. Anyone got anything else?

jj

This place in Reading,PA used to do small lot or even one of a kind jobs. READING PLATING & POLISHING WORKS, 610-372-0270. Haven't been by the place in years but the number came from a 2007-2008 phone book. Good Luck.

Jones

Cadmium plating is all but phased out because of the toxicity of the Cadmium and the fact that Cyanide is also used in the process. There are still places that do it but you can count on paying a premium-- both because of the health and hazmat problems associated with Cadmium as well as the fact that most places nowadays like to work in 100,000 piece lots.

papercu

but I didn't plan on investing so much into a one-time, small quantity job.
Seems as if there is a need here, while not get a few jobs lined up, should lower the cost and if anything is left over (tools/material) sell to the next guy. Wayne

Mike_L

I tried the Eastwood kit. Of course, results vary by user. The colors came out nice due to the color tints (green and red) but the glossy shean of plated metal wasn't there. Even with the gloss clearcote that was included, the shine isn't as deep which makes the colors look dull like paint. As mentioned, it will probably look good under a panel or behind something but not good enough to put out where it can be seen up close-looks good from about 6 feet or in a shadowed area. Again, results vary and maybe I could do a better job next time though I think the finish shine is the weak spot to this process. I also thought of using a different base coat other the gold included with the kit. I have some more parts to do, I'll try some different ideas but I don't know if I will get that plated metal shine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks