• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cageing air brakes

fasttruck

Obviously you have to insure that a caging pin assembly for each dual service brake chamber is present. It is not uncommon to get a vehicle through DRMO/GovPlanet with this component missing. There is a place to stow the pin on the side of the brake chamber it serves. A 3/4" box wrench is required to operate the nut on the pin. The keyed end of the pin is inserted in the hole on top of the brake chamber after the dust cover is removed. It is a touchy-feely job to get the pin to engage the slot in the brake chamber. Once this is accomplished draw the nut down the shaft until it compresses the spring in the brake chamber enough to allow the return spring to pull the brake shoe back. If the brake shoe is not visible, jack the wheel up and in sure it turns freely. Pic of stowed caging pin and cutaway of dual service brake chamber showing the spring that operates the emergency brake that the caging pin is designed to compress/cage. Caging pins are available from parts houses that deal in big truck parts or from on line vendors.

Attachments

fasttruck

Caging pins will be required to tow a vehicle when it is impossible to supply air from the towing vehicle to keep the emergency brake released. Dual service brake chambers are found on drive and trailer axles. They are not usually found on steering axles as the designer doesn't want the driver to loose steering ability in the event of an unplanned emergency brake application.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
and is there a replacement for the crumbly cap that provides access for the bolt! Just asking for a "friend" winky wink.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Euclid E-9112
Wow - best deal $4.87 a piece, only sold in 20 pack......... $97.40.
Not so bad if anyone would sell just a couple or a hand full. I think I'll just get the calipers out and run to the hardware store for some nylon blanking grommets.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow - best deal $4.87 a piece, only sold in 20 pack......... $97.40.
Not so bad if anyone would sell just a couple or a hand full. I think I'll just get the calipers out and run to the hardware store for some nylon blanking grommets.
TWD HD10036 sold individual, and cheap at NAPA, or google brake chamber plug for other types.
Let me try again.

fasttruck

The plugs are called dust covers and are available from truck parts suppliers individually or in bulk. Their use is encouraged to prevent corrosion in thye brake chamber if rain and road debris is allowed to enter. Get them in the same place you buy your caging pin assemblies.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks