• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Caiman mrap aluminum rims

profo

Got my MRAP Caiman aluminum rims that fit perfically with the special lug nuts and finally all powder coated and ready to mount tires but I am having a **** of a time finding the Oring's they are about 3/16 size much smaller than the normal 3/8 on the 900 series anybody know where to find them and maybe a part number? Searched Web the rims are WI-1184's Hutchensons!

thanks Marty

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I checked, McMaster Carr has them. I believe they are all 20" ID., but better verify.

dronsen

Aluminum wheels are supposed to be an awesome upgrade... There are a bunch on ebay now... Let us know what you think when you've driven yours... Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

coachgeo

Aluminum wheels are supposed to be an awesome upgrade... There are a bunch on ebay now... Let us know what you think when you've driven yours... Thanks!

Why are they an upgrade? Lower in weight? If so how much? What other reason? just curious

dronsen

I have been told that they improve ride quality dramatically, particularly if upgrading to high speed gears, because they are inherently perfectly balanced... The steel wheels can't be balanced

coachgeo

I have been told that .... they are inherently perfectly balanced... ....
hmmm... interesting.. never heard "inherently perfectly balanced." for any type of wheel. Wonder if in this case that may have some truth in it at first cause of what Scott mentions about their having limited use so they are still factory balanced..... or do they have a bead balance system of something like that built into them?

scottmandu

I guess I meant to say..."inherently almost-perfectly balanced" due to the nature of being machined...
Well they are not machined. They are a forging, not milled from a block of aluminium. The center hole and nut holes are machined, but those are also machined on the steel wheels as well.

They aren't perfectly balanced, and when you add 2 pounds of CTIS equipment on one side of the wheel and a 300 lb tire....

The only way to get them balanced well is to use balancer that balances the assembly on the truck, but most just use equal tire balancing beads or equivalent.

dronsen

I stand corrected...and educated...didn;t mean to post incorrect info....I have heard that the aluminum wheels provide a much better ride, especially at high speeds....thanks for the info. BTW...how do you balance steel wheels? thanks

coachgeo

I stand corrected...and educated...didn;t mean to post incorrect info....I have heard that the aluminum wheels provide a much better ride, especially at high speeds....thanks for the info. BTW...how do you balance steel wheels? thanks
they say we learn more from our mistakes than from what we get right....... and on forums IMHO that is actually a plus...... cause hundreds more learn right along with you.

profo

No I didn't take apart the steel rims with the tires got all five in storage will probably sell them cheap they have Goodyears on them and I only run the Michelin cause I use mostly on road!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks