• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

California CDL: Another Clarification (long)

63foxtrot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
a friend of mine got his deuce imponded in front of his house right before our spring meet in Lodi CA. The LEO followed him home, asked to see lic. reg. ins. . He had a class C drive's lic, truck is tagged as historical, current ins. He imponded the deuce because my friend needed at least a non commerical B lic. after getting his non commerical lic learners permit, $800 in tow storage fees, and a court fine. He got his truck out of impond in Culver City. There is no way around the 3 axels, the weight, the look of the truck. He tried all the tricks, the motor home route, the non commerical use route, non of that mattered. His lawyer advised him to get the currect lic. or sell the truck.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I admire the fighting spirit, logic and persnickety nature of the lawyer, but the fact is that vehicles over 10,000 GVW and under 26,000GVW need a little more training and care to operate. Mr. lawyer can take his battle to court. I'll take a different path.

I plan to study and train for a CDL class B license this summer. And I do not consider it an undue burden!

Rick

namedpipes

Silly Question.

Say I live in a state that does *not* require a cdl to drive a deuce and have only a run of the mill private license. I go for a drive and pass through California. Legal or Illegal?

Related... I drive through a state with odd (to me) requirements - is it Wis that has rules that make it hard or impossible to drive a deuce? Am I "grandfathered"?

Last edited:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
a friend of mine got his deuce imponded in front of his house right before our spring meet in Lodi CA. The LEO followed him home, asked to see lic. reg. ins. . He had a class C drive's lic, truck is tagged as historical, current ins. He imponded the deuce because my friend needed at least a non commerical B lic. after getting his non commerical lic learners permit, $800 in tow storage fees, and a court fine. He got his truck out of impond in Culver City. There is no way around the 3 axels, the weight, the look of the truck. He tried all the tricks, the motor home route, the non commerical use route, non of that mattered. His lawyer advised him to get the currect lic. or sell the truck.
Culver City PD Commercial Enforcement is absolutely ruthless. I consulted with them and their parking enforcement SGT. prior to purchasing my truck. I heard tale of your friend getting his Deuce taken away directly from the individual who ordered the impounding. I am a LEO from a large SoCal. agency. I called him out on your friends plight. I basically told him that I would not have gone that far and what he did was straight not cool. In a manner of speech, I basically said just kick the guy in his b@!!$ next time, why don't you.

I guess they have to pay for the fancy souped up commercial enforcement F-150's they scoot around in. They have left me alone, but I try to stay a step ahead of them and know the law.

PM Sent...

998Junkie

I guess they have to pay for the fancy souped up commercial enforcement F-150's they scoot around in.
I work in Culver city...I've seen those trucks...the whole city's PD seems geared to collect $$. Watch them at Lunch time at Fox Hills mall (West Field @ culver city now:grin:).

Totally sucks to have your ride impounded.

randygk

My advice would be to try and find one of those "Class A in a Day" places that let you use their truck and trailer, train you and set up the test at the DMV. With some studying, a physical (about 50 dollars) and about $600 for the training, you can get a CDL A or B and eliminate any question about the license.

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can't just register a stock deuce as a motor home to get around the licensing, you have to actually add a shelter box and some type of improvements (water, bed, electricity, etc). With the M109A3 it was of course no problem at all, fill out the house car paperwork for the DMV, let them look at it, receive standard non-commercial plates.

ptg530C

first off, sue the *sshole that impounded your truck. secondly the cal law is unconstitutional for the simple reason that it is restraint of trade. cdl's are required for air braked vehicles. in michigan, you need a cdl if the vehicle is over 24000 gvw BUT if you own the truck and use it to transport your personal tools OR goods for sale and the vehicle is under 24,000 gvw NO CDL IS REQUIRED as to do so is RESTRAINT OF TRADE.

If I lived in cal, i would start suing ANY public official that harrass's me in amy manner. the first thing i would do is sue the @sshole who impounded your vehicle. I would sue for damages, for ILLEGALLY IMPOUNDING my vehicle and I would do it in CIVIL COURT without draggingt the corrupt municipality into it.

By the way, i learned this from getting %ucked with by corrupt cops in michigan.

I dont take ^hit from anyone.

Clay James

You can't just register a stock deuce as a motor home to get around the licensing, you have to actually add a shelter box and some type of improvements (water, bed, electricity, etc). With the M109A3 it was of course no problem at all, fill out the house car paperwork for the DMV, let them look at it, receive standard non-commercial plates.
Did you get yours registered as an RV? I have mine on a temporary as an RV but I have to go do a vin verification and they'll check the RV stuff. So far I have a bed, a bunch of kitchen cabinets and I'll put in a fridge before I go down there. It should be enough I guess, they're very vague on the RV requirements.

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you get yours registered as an RV? I have mine on a temporary as an RV but I have to go do a vin verification and they'll check the RV stuff. So far I have a bed, a bunch of kitchen cabinets and I'll put in a fridge before I go down there. It should be enough I guess, they're very vague on the RV requirements.
Yes, mine is registered as an RV which is how it has standard non-commercial plates. Yes, the requirements are vague, I would think you have enough, but it depends on who is checking it out I guess. I have electricity, hot and cold running water, stove, fridge, bed, cabinets, closet...so they really had no argument if they wanted to deny me.

I did have a CHP officer pull me over on Sunday, he said he just wanted to be sure the cover for the glad hand was ok (was dangling by it's chain) but then proceeded to ask me a ton of questions about the history of the truck and have a look in the box. At first I thought he was looking for anything to bust me, then after a while I realized he just really liked the truck and wanted to check it out.

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RV is afidavit. Nobody actually looks at the truck for that. You just need to be prepared if you are ever stopped. The vin verification is required for any type of registration if not in the DMV system.
Correct. The DMV, AAA or other authorized entity will check the VIN for verification, the listing as a house car (RV) is simply filling out the proper paperwork, no one at the DMV verified that the changes had actually been done.

I would imagine that falsifying that paperwork would however involve alot of stuff you wouldn't like if ever challenged and you didn't actually convert it a housecar.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This may be somewhat off the subject but consider...

If you're contemplating either Class A or B CDL, you will soon learn that in order to maintain the license the govt requires that you either quit or heavily abstain from the following: drinking coffee/tea/cola/anything caffiene, eating bacon/sausage/ham/brots/red-meats-of any kind, drinking beers/alcohol, your favorite bottled salad dressings, and/or anything else that actually tastes good or that you might enjoy including but not limited to your favorite fast food places and INSTEAD, sustain yourself mainly on a diet of fruits, veggies and legumes... think I'm exagerating?

With an A or B CDL you MUST renew/pass your DOT physical every two years or your license reverts back to class C---- ask me why this sucks? Because of some "guidlines" recently dreamed up by some desk-bound, pencil-pushing DOT govt ninney; if your blood pressure is over 140xwhatever, the doctor will only renew your DOT phys card for A ONE TIME ONLY, 3 months. Believe it or not, a BP test of 139 is a go--- test 140 or over and you're NO-GO. Ask me why this sucks? If you go with that 3 mos option and test over 140 again, you NOW must retake the DOT physical ANNUALLY--- AND--- you must also verify that you are now under continious doctor's care until you test low again. Ask me why this sucks?

True Story: If you've had your CDL for 23 years and depend on it for work, then your recent DOT physical exam showed BP over 140, while you've been out of work for over a year now and your health ins has expired, result: PERFECT STORM--- you can no longer legally drive truck. Now isn't that what govt is for?

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I work in Culver city...I've seen those trucks...the whole city's PD seems geared to collect $$. Watch them at Lunch time at Fox Hills mall (West Field @ culver city now:grin:).

Totally sucks to have your ride impounded.

I said to the particular LEO, if you see a desert sand 5-T drive by you don't even think of grabbing for that light bar switch. He has seen me driving around several times and just waves to me.

LORENZ

I admire the fighting spirit, logic and persnickety nature of the lawyer, but the fact is that vehicles over 10,000 GVW and under 26,000GVW need a little more training and care to operate.
That's just not true. Motorhomes fly around all day long over 10k GVW, and some of them have tag axels giving them 8 wheels on the ground. These guys don't need additional training or licensing.

LORENZ

My advice would be to try and find one of those "Class A in a Day" places that let you use their truck and trailer, train you and set up the test at the DMV. With some studying, a physical (about 50 dollars) and about $600 for the training, you can get a CDL A or B and eliminate any question about the license.
You give up your right to a traffic court, and Judges are not so nice to commercial guys who screw up. DUI with a commercial license and you're out of the drivers seat in anything for quite a while. The rules change as soon as you step in with a commercial license.

pat038536

first off, sue the ...

Good luck on suing.. the law is on their side and its quite clear. If you read the data plate attached inside the cab, you will note that it reads " Truck, CARGO: 2½ Ton". As much as I wish it didn't..it meets the California legal definition of commercial vehicle.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/comlhdbk/comlhdbk.pdf
Refer to page 3 of the pdf.
You may drive with a Commercial Class B License:
(a) a single vehicle with a GVWR of more than 26,000 lbs.
(b) a 3-axle vehicle weighing over 6,000 lbs.
(c) a bus (except a trailer bus), with endorsement.
(d) any farm labor vehicle, with endorsement.
(e) all vehicles under Class C.

With a Basic Class C License:
(a) a 2-axle vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less.
(b) a 3-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. gross or less.
(c) a motorized scooter.
(d) any housecar 40' or less.
(e) A farmer or employee of a farmer may also drive:
(1) any combination of vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) of 26,000 lbs. or less if used exclusively in agricultural operations and it is not for hire or compensation.

Commercial means for profit. You can cary your own cargo. So just because it says cargo dose not make it a commercial truck.

There is no way to get around the three axles clause short of bobbing or making it into a (House car)

Line D under class C

I hate California, unfortunately i still have family there so sooner or later i will be driving my deuce down that way.

Even tho in Oregon you only need a class C so i can legally drive it through California.

I still worry about crossing the border.

Its not the law you worry about its the officer that doesn't know it that's the problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks