• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

California Diesels | CARB Compliance

rsbanker

For you California owners - have any of you looked into what it would take to make your vehicles CARB compliant? I sent an email off to the CARB folks and they were actually quick to respond that Historical Vehicles are (currently) exempt. See following:

Generally a historical vehicle is exempt from the Truck and Bus Regulation.

Here is the exact language:

“Historic Vehicle” means a vehicle that has met the qualifications
for and has a historical vehicle license plate pursuant to the California Veh. Code,
section 5004, and is operated or moved over the highway primarily for the purpose
of historical exhibition or other historic vehicle club activities.

If you have further questions or concerns, please call 1-866-6Diesel.

Thank you for your email.

-866 Hotline Staff

While I suppose I am happy to keep my M35 registered as a historic vehicle, I am also interested in possibly migrating this and other acquisitions over to Commercial plates so that I can actually haul personal loads of water/gravel/etc without getting dinged by the CHP. Has anyone taken this CARB stuff to the compliance level????

Thanks,

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's the reason the deuce got rebuilt to an A3 and eventually phased out...emissions. Don't go there, it's election time and you might stir up something that won't be favorable to owners of these and other old diesel fired things.

shannondeese

I have comercial plates on my 1985 Deuce. When I registered her in Cali, San Diego at that I was told I had to get an emissions check. After going to three different places to get an emisions test finally one of the guys gave me a number to a moderator in the CARB resourses board. I told him what I had and what I was trying to do. He sent the local DMV some form that said I was exempt and it now says SMOG EXEMPT on my california title. So it can be done legally. Good luck.

Last edited:

Prankster

Propane injection info.

I do a lot of research.
I want to add a propane injection unit to my diesel engine: I have six.
The one I was reading about exsplained that a diesel engine only burns 75% of its fuel, and the other 25% is wasted.
Using a propane injection unit will enable the engine to burn the remaining 25%.

Then If you add a catalytic converter to all that you might be able to pass inspection.

I like this one:
3" Catalytic Converter High Flow Stainless Steel | eBay

I have bought lots of them in many sizes.

I once used one for a set of exhaust stacks on my pickup.
I cut one in half with a chop saw, and I placed them up top with a set of rain caps.
While living in NYC I was worried that somebody would drop cigarette butts, and beer bottles down my stacks. The ceramic honeycomb prevents such disasters.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks