• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

California MVCC Tower Park / Camp Delta

papakb

The Military Vehicle Collectors of California will be hosting their annual April 2010 Camp Delta meet at the Tower Park KOA campground from 18 April until the 25th. The largest military vehicle meet west of the Mississippi, we typically have 200+ military vehicles at the event plus a huge swap meet of military oriented items. The public is welcome to the meet and there is no admission charge. The campground is located on highway 12, ~5 miles west of Interstate 5 in Lodi, California.

This year in addition to the swap meet we will again be hosting the EMU-309 UH-1H Huey helicopter and the 75mm pack howitzers from the 75th Army Reserve. There will be showcases highlighting various military vehicles and seminars on vehicle related topics. The General Membership meeting will be Saturday morning at 1000 in the Pavilion.

Contact Kurt or JoAnn Lesser at (408) 238-8277 or visit the MVCCwebsite at www.MVCCNEWS.net for more info.

Last edited:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I won't be joining the convoy but will be there. Probably Tues. and or Wed. for the day.

JDToumanian

We plan to do it in one day. Last year we DID have breakdowns.... Jim ("The Recorder") started spraying coolant and we stopped for 20 minutes to move and tighten the upper radiator hose, and later I broke one of the 6 metal fuel injector lines and started spraying fuel. We were on the side of the road for about an hour and a half while I repaired it. We also stopped twice for fuel a few more times for leg stretches and lunch. It took us around 10 hours with breakdowns and a leisurely pace..... So I figure about 8 hours if we had no problems.

It's really not bad driving that far in a deuce, we had a great time and decided to make it an annual tradition. Certainly the East Coast Convoy participants always have a good time. Personally I would recommend having a spring driver's seat.... It will spare your back. I used to have a sore back after only an hour or so in the deuce, but I installed a spring seat right before last year's convoy and I couldn't believe the huge difference it made.

Jon

Barneyszoo

Cool, I have a springer in the 5 ton but not the deuse, I could swap them but I might want to take the 813. If I were going by myself I would take the deuse with the 46s it dose about 65-70mph but convoy speed will be less around 50-55 I'm guessing?

JDToumanian

Yeah, our target speed was 53. Jim's deuce is a bit gutless, I'm trying to get him to add a pyrometer and we'll turn up his fuel a tad, but it's slow going over the Tehachapi mountains either way.

If you join us that would be 4 trucks so far... Cool!

Jon

JDToumanian

Jim lives in Corona off I-15 at Indian Truck Trail. He was planning to meet me at my house in Hesperia, but to save time I could meet at the hwy 395 exit. I'll send this thread to Jim so maybe you guys can coordinate meeting somewhere down the hill...

The 4th deuce is coming from Lancaster, so he'll probably meet us in Mojave where hwy 14 and 58 cross. A possible 5th deuce is in Fresno, so we would be meeting up with him probably around mid-day.

Jon

DanMartin

Guys,

I will be there from Thursday-Sat. Spots 113/114 (Yes, I reserved two as I have a large RV trailer and sometimes she don't fit in one space). We'll be driving down from Portland early Thursday AM (about 10 hour drive), so if all goes well we'll be there in the late afternoon.

Looking forward to meeting up with some of my SS buddies down there.

Eric's hifim37

Hi Jon,

I tried to access your convoy page and it wouldn't open for me so I am not asking a stupid question. What day are you all rolling out ? We are planing to leave Barstow ( hwy 58 ) Sunday the 18th and run up the 99, I don't like the 5. I'm driving my M37 w/m101 and Keith is towing his WC52 up there, if you are not taking off on the 18th maybe we can run together back down on Sunday the 25th ? I won't have my Command Car this year :cry: I think the convoy deal would be great, if we can't get together this time maybe we can plan to run togther in September

See ya there !

Eric..

Major Asstyrd

Adding a few details to papakb's announcement... the direct link to the event page is here: MVCC Camp Delta @ Tower Park
and this will be updated with news when necessary. If you want a campsite and DO NOT have a reservation yet, read the page carefully and contact mamalesser"at symbol"yahoo.com. Check out the activities page. This will soon have a day-by-day schedule posted. Note the special activities this year include Jeep Evolution-One of Each (25+ models and variations), armored cars, staff cars, medical vehicles, a Carter jeep carb rebuilding seminar, a tentative WW2 British Airborne display, likely a modern MRAP truck from BAE Systems, Madames Afternoon Tea (for all ladies), Friday night party, and more.

The convoy from LA sounds great! Convoys are nice because only the guy in the rear gets run over!:wink: Can one of you guys post a link to this thread over on the G503.com MVCC forum? If not I will and tell me who the contact person is. We have members in LA and along your route that should know about this. Also there is a convoy from the north set for Tuesday out of Oroville, returning Sunday. Some convoy from Idaho, and WA and OR people often group up.

We invite vehicles for the displays mentioned so pass the word. Not a restoration contest! In particular we are looking for the following vehicles we are not sure about: Ferret, M8 armored car, Willys MA, Ford GPA, Willys MZ-2, M422 (not A1), M718 Muttbulance, M201 Hotchkiss jeep. I am the contact person for displays and activities.

BillIdaho

I'll be there with the usual (unusual?) Idaho guys. We'll be set up in the usual space.
Find the Idaho guy with all the patches/pins/ribbons/uniforms/militaria. I get to be the old bald guy with the limp. Come on over. I'd like to meet some fellow SS guys. A couple of years ago, "Dieselsmoke" (I think that was his given name) came over.
See ya there. If anyone needs any particular patches or anything, let me know, I'll make sure we toss it in the trailer.

Stalwart

Major, my wife owns a Dingo, Ferret and Fox (the larger successor to the Ferret) and she wanted to bring the Fox. Why the desire for the Ferret?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks