• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

California owners

stevebrule

I have a question for the owners in CA do any of you use your trucks as daily drivers? It appears that you have to have a cdl in CA to operate these unless you remove an axle is that correct?

Thanks

armytruck63

Welcome Steve,
Yes, in CA you need a CDL for anything with three axles that weighs over 6000 lbs. Why not get your CDL? Solves that problem.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a B CDL w/ no restriction. It's good to err on this side of caution. These posts come around often and I give the same advice. My take is, yes, it is the law in CA to operate these truck with such credentials and you don't want to get caught with "your pants down" if there is a catastrophic incident involving your truck and you. A civil lawyer, if you end up in litigation, will question your training, experience and proper documentation in the use of your truck. You may also be held criminally liable if there was negilgence on your part. Sorry to cast a gloom, but we have to roll safe.

quickfarms

If your going to do it you might as well get the class a with the endorsements except passenger and hazmat.

Technically even if you remove an axle you still could get in trouble because of the air brakes.

Use as a daily driver will require you to register it as a commercial vehicle. This will require weight fees, CA number, commercial insurance and then you will have deal with carb. historic vehicles are either exempt or the regulations are not enforced.

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are several dozen trucks - deuces and 5 tons - that I know are being used as daily or very frequent drivers. I haven't met another owner yet with a CDL. It's the law, might as well suck it up and be legal. And my truck is only driven once or twice a month.

quickfarms

There are several dozen trucks - deuces and 5 tons - that I know are being used as daily or very frequent drivers. I haven't met another owner yet with a CDL. It's the law, might as well suck it up and be legal. And my truck is only driven once or twice a month.
I have the totally opposite experience.

All but one of the guys I know that have the big trucks have a CDL.

Most actually have Class A's

Hawssie

What about the other issue thats going to be coming up here in California at the start of next year. From what I can gather any Pre-1994 vehicle with a diesel engine over 26k GVWR will not be legal to drive or even run in California without being retrofitted with a 2010 or new heavy duty engine. There are a few limited ways around it but not many that I can seem to find. The by year requirements can be found below. Please tell me I am missing something! Gotta love the unelected AIR RESOURCES BOARD!

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/documents/FSRegSum.pdf

randygk

One exemption is for vehicles registered Historical Vehicle. Look up "Class A in a Day" truck driving school for a CDL. It was about $ 500 and the peace of mind is worth it.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One exemption is for vehicles registered Historical Vehicle. Look up "Class A in a Day" truck driving school for a CDL. It was about $ 500 and the peace of mind is worth it.
Could you site your source that says Historical Vehicles are exempt from a CDL?

quickfarms

I have not been able to even find a exemption for historic to scale.

California law is clear that a three axle vehicle over 6,000 lbs can not be driven with a class c. A class B CDL is even required to drive a pinzgauer.

Hawssie

Sorry I didn't mean to start a take over the CDL topic. But due to safety I don't see why or how there should or would be a way around a CDL for over 26K 3 axle and air brakes!. The smog is another issue entirely though.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not been able to even find a exemption for historic to scale.

California law is clear that a three axle vehicle over 6,000 lbs can not be driven with a class c. A class B CDL is even required to drive a pinzgauer.
Yes, that is the law as I have always understood it. I got confused with two topics going on in one thread.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks