• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

California Registration Question for 5ton

Steve92307

Hey guys,

So I found this kinda odd and looking for comments from so cali guys. I went to one of the registration service places to do the transfer of title and transfer of historic plates. They said they were all done, fees were 250bucks for title and registration but the odd thing is they gave me new regular plates and on the registration it says Auto. They said I needed to re apply for the historic plates to put them in my name. Should I just roll with it since the registration is so cheap and doesnt restrict me like historical ones? I really couldn't believe it because I've heard of these trucks cost in the 1000s to register normally.

Valor

Hey guys,

So I found this kinda odd and looking for comments from so cali guys. I went to one of the registration service places to do the transfer of title and transfer of historic plates. They said they were all done, fees were 250bucks for title and registration but the odd thing is they gave me new regular plates and on the registration it says Auto. They said I needed to re apply for the historic plates to put them in my name. Should I just roll with it since the registration is so cheap and doesnt restrict me like historical ones? I really couldn't believe it because I've heard of these trucks cost in the 1000s to register normally.
That sounds odd for sure. What restrictions on historical vehicle registratrion? You mean insurance restrictions? When you talk about $1000's to register that might be for commercial with a weight fee plus other fees. Maybe you should talk to the people who did the registration for you and ask what they did.

Steve92307

That sounds odd for sure. What restrictions on historical vehicle registratrion? You mean insurance restrictions? When you talk about $1000's to register that might be for commercial with a weight fee plus other fees. Maybe you should talk to the people who did the registration for you and ask what they did.
From what I have heard the fees cost alot when normally registering the truck without historical plates. Historical plates have driving restrictions attached to them. You can look them up at the CA dmv website.

Bhpdbrad

Sounds like you are the innocent victim of yet another CA DMV employee blunder.

I had to first register my 5-ton with commercial plates (FYI - for those in other states - ALL trucks in CA are registered with commercial plates. Your fees are based on vehicle weight). I could not register with Historic Plates until the vehicle was 25 years old. Side note: It WAS 25 years old at the time but I was then told it had to be "Older than 25" (wrong!). Regardless, I paid hefty fees for that first year.

The following year I got the Historic Plates. The 'restrictions' for Historic Plates are as stated: " Historical Vehicle License Plates are limited to operation or movement over the highway primarily for the purpose of historical exhibition or other similar, noncommercial purposes, such as parades or historic vehicle club activities, and are subject to a fixed annual vehicle license fee (VLF) of $2. "

With that said the Historic Plates work perfectly for me.
1) I do not use the truck for a daily driver and I do not use it "commercially" (this distinction - in CA - basically means I do not carry goods or people for hire)
2) While I primarily use my truck for parades and concerts, going to Home Depot is not out of the question (as long as I'm not hauling loads for other people). I can basically drive it anywhere, anytime, as there are always other exceptions that apply, e.g. fueling, servicing, testing, etc. Not to mention what has been previously stated by numerous other military truck owners..."Anytime you go somewhere and park... you create a historical exhibition." You will be approached by numerous people with hundreds of questions.

The problem you may encounter is that it is all of the above... but NOT an 'auto' (for registration) - any more than it is a motorcycle. That's where you could catch some flak from any LEO, as it is clearly not properly registered. Just my $0.02

Steve92307

I had to first register my 5-ton with commercial plates (FYI - for those in other states - ALL trucks in CA are registered with commercial plates. Your fees are based on vehicle weight). I could not register with Historic Plates until the vehicle was 25 years old. Side note: It WAS 25 years old at the time but I was then told it had to be "Older than 25" (wrong!). Regardless, I paid hefty fees for that first year.

The following year I got the Historic Plates. The 'restrictions' for Historic Plates are as stated: " Historical Vehicle License Plates are limited to operation or movement over the highway primarily for the purpose of historical exhibition or other similar, noncommercial purposes, such as parades or historic vehicle club activities, and are subject to a fixed annual vehicle license fee (VLF) of $2. "

1) I do not use the truck for a daily driver and I do not use it "commercially" (this distinction - in CA - basically means I do not carry goods or people for hire)
2) While I primarily use my truck for parades and concerts, going to Home Depot is not out of the question (as long as I'm not hauling loads for other people). I can basically drive it anywhere, anytime, as there are always other exceptions that apply, e.g. fueling, servicing, testing, etc. Not to mention what has been previously stated by numerous other military truck owners..."Anytime you go somewhere and park... you create a historical exhibition." You will be approached by numerous people with hundreds of questions.

The problem you may encounter is that it is all of the above... but NOT an 'auto' (for registration) - any more than it is a motorcycle. That's where you could catch some flak from any LEO, as it is clearly not properly registered. Just my $0.02
Thanks, what's odd about my situation is that this vehicle has been registered with historical plates for at least 5 yrs now. In the Dmv system it would not even let them put the Vin in as a commercial vehicle because they tried. I'll just run them for now. It still has the correct year and make of my truck on the registration card so I'll just play dumb if I get pulled over....lol

Steve92307

On another note, do you have

On another note, do you have to have any historical documentation about the truck to re apply for historic plates?

Bhpdbrad

On another note, do you have

On another note, do you have to have any historical documentation about the truck to re apply for historic plates?
No, not required. They mainly focus of the year of the vehicle (at least 25 years old). I did attach a photo of the truck with the application in case they didn't know what it really was and to show it is an authentic military truck.

Last edited:

Steve92307

No, not required. They mainly focus of the year of the vehicle (at least 25 years old). I did attach a photo of the truck with the application in case they didn't know what it really was and to show it is an authentic military truck.
Ok, thanks! Are you coming out to the spring meetup in Barstow?

williamh

CHP will stop you as soon as they see auto plates and make you go get it fixed. I had an experience with them once with my m135 with historical plates , went round n round with him on the side of the fwy. Ended up just gettin a warning for hauling an un covered load. The restrictions if I remember correctly you can only drive 1000 mi per year ( no one checks ) , only to and from “functions” and Maintenance runs.

witchdx

I have my duce registered as an auto/utility vehicle in socal for years, but it took some doing, about 7 or 8 times at the DMV , until I went to the right office thru a another military truck owner that knew where to go. The other times they wanted me to register it as commercial with $1700 yearly fees which I always refused. But it can be registered as a utility vehicle as it can carry equipment and personnel as it has the troop seats, but it must be covered, and not open. and I had to fill out a statement of facts stating that. but the DMV office has to be willing to do that, and most prefer to charge you the commercial fee, I was going to lunch not long after i got it registered in the Long Beach Port area and had just parked when a commercial CHP pickup truck pulled up and two admiring Officers came out to talk to me about it and look it over, To verify the registration i asked them what they thought about it registered as an auto. They looked it over, looked in the back to make sure I wasn't hauling anything commercial. The covering seemed to be the biggest issue for them. My Duce has the thick regulation vinyl cover on it which they stated was okay, but it always had to be on to be able to drive it., I had some padlocks hanging from a few of the tie down hooks which they liked, said it made it look more permanent . so I can see why they gave you a ticket for no cover, I have had it registered this way for years with no restrictions. Thanks to another military truck owner who helped me out.

Steve92307

CHP will stop you as soon as they see auto plates and make you go get it fixed. I had an experience with them once with my m135 with historical plates , went round n round with him on the side of the fwy. Ended up just gettin a warning for hauling an un covered load. The restrictions if I remember correctly you can only drive 1000 mi per year ( no one checks ) , only to and from “functions” and Maintenance runs.
Luckily for me up here in the high desert there are so many people speeding and causing accidents all CHP just wave to me and keep on going. These days with all the crime on the rise, I'm the last of their worries...lol

Steve92307

I have my duce registered as an auto/utility vehicle in socal for years, but it took some doing, about 7 or 8 times at the DMV , until I went to the right office thru a another military truck owner that knew where to go. The other times they wanted me to register it as commercial with $1700 yearly fees which I always refused. But it can be registered as a utility vehicle as it can carry equipment and personnel as it has the troop seats, but it must be covered, and not open. and I had to fill out a statement of facts stating that. but the DMV office has to be willing to do that, and most prefer to charge you the commercial fee, I was going to lunch not long after i got it registered in the Long Beach Port area and had just parked when a commercial CHP pickup truck pulled up and two admiring Officers came out to talk to me about it and look it over, To verify the registration i asked them what they thought about it registered as an auto. They looked it over, looked in the back to make sure I wasn't hauling anything commercial. The covering seemed to be the biggest issue for them. My Duce has the thick regulation vinyl cover on it which they stated was okay, but it always had to be on to be able to drive it., I had some padlocks hanging from a few of the tie down hooks which they liked, said it made it look more permanent . so I can see why they gave you a ticket for no cover, I have had it registered this way for years with no restrictions. Thanks to another military truck owner who helped me out.
I saw that they said something about the cover over your bed. Is it not legal to drive around without one? I dont have the cover or any bows for mine.

Bhpdbrad

I saw that they said something about the cover over your bed. Is it not legal to drive around without one? I dont have the cover or any bows for mine.
I believe the topic has drifted a little.

The issue of having a truck bed 'covered' is for people who have pick-up trucks that they do not want to maintain their issued (additional $$ registration fees) for having 'commercial' plates. Thus, they can have them transferred to regular (auto) registration (plates/fees) - but only if the bed is 'covered' (usually with a shell or similar type of covering and they are not carrying a load.

This is not a common situation and I'm sure many CHP Officers are not looking for these registration violations. Especially in the City. But if you travel in the rural areas, they look for them a lot. I know it's a big thing up the 395 to the Mammoth / Bishop area.

The only other CA law that requires the bed being 'covered' is when transporting a load of aggerate or debris that would blow off/

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks