• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Call from the Army about the 4th of July Parade, All Clear

readyman

Well guys, I've seemed to have by-passed all the local and state police problems we normally have, and have gone straight to the Army this time.
Anyone else have this happen?

The Parade photos;
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=24026&highlight=

OK time for a full clarification. I got the word. Everything has been cleared up.
Army Public Affairs thought Chris was active duty and he was "out of uniform". He likes to wear his blue jeans all the time, as you can see in the pic.
The main issue was the wearing of uniforms within the context of a more modern vehicle. Which the NICMVPA will address at the next meeting.

I was helping out the USO by carrying their banner on the back? They caught flak too.

Probably all started here at the ARMY.MIL website... how my HMMWV got here... jeez, of all the dumb luck.
http://www.army.mil/-images/2008/07/07/18714/

Attachments

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Call from the Army about the 4th of July Parade, not goo

What's the deal? I know alot of people who have BDUs, replica weapons, nice lookin' vehicles. Is your HMMWV titled in your name? Why are their BVDs all up in a bind?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: Call from the Army about the 4th of July Parade, not goo

So what is going on? Tell them its a privately owned vehicle and they can come check the registration. End of their worrys. I'm sure it will not be that simple, but it should.

rsh253

:ditto:

It sounds like a case of someone having too much time on their hands. I'd like to suggust that you pursue this because it just isn't right. (You'd think anyone in the Army would appreciate your show of support to the Armed Forces.) The best defense is a good offense!!. Find who this person's commanding officer is and then talk with him/her. Keep going up until you find some up the command chain that has some sense and calls that baffon on the carpet!

By-the-way: Great looking H1.

-Russ

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I doubt if it is the real Army All the guys I tell that I have a duece are amazed and happy about it. When I tell them I also have an M818, M127, and all the rest they just shake their heads and I am quite sure they say man is he lucky. The Army knows every piece of equipment it owns and they also would note that the exhaust on yours is a Marine variant. Get their name rank and unit of assignment and I will set them straight.

Not to mention BDU's are out of date now anyway I did not see any ACU's and even the Korean lawn men are wearing them over here on base.

Elwenil

Keep in mind that the military does not want these vehicles in civilian hands and look at the few that have slipped through as a mistake. Couple that with the fact that AM General has tried to get the registrations cancelled and I believe I would not bark up this particular tree. If the DoD can make GL issue letters wanting stuff back, I'm sure a vehicle that they never wanted out to the public could be recalled or seized.

bonshawman

Once our troops got busy with the first Desert Storm, and our current deployment, the National Guard (who used to participate in parades) had no personnel or vehicles. Here is South Florida all of the municipalities (and, of course, the public) love our participation in parades, displays and events.

Every army/navy store sells BDU's, helmets, etc.

I am not aware of your situation, but replica or demilled weapons and vehicles with their correct markings shouldn't be an issue for anyone. In Florida you can run you MV without displaying your tag (by law) so long as you have it in the vehicle.

It would be sad if any of our armed forces were taken-back by our support of them, and our attempts to honor their service by our displays.

halftrack

Did yo tell them to kiss your rear or put their boot in theirs? Remind them that your not in the Army and you can do whatever you want when you want.

Besides, did you tell them the Hummv came from the Marines and not them.

bonshawman

You could also send the pics to your US Congressman and Senator with details about the contact from the ARMY (copy of correspondence, names, etc) which might make it to command.

The biggest issue in your case is probably that your vehicle is in current use. I have the 2005 LSSV ambulance (see avatar), but I purposely have no lettering or markings on it. I only display the red crosses if I am on display or in a parade.

I am sure none the the WWII motorcycles, or the WWII GPW/Willys got any flak, did they ?

The public is often amazed that we can own these, and display mock weapons (although some jurisdictions have problems with those), and drive them on the street. Common sense (especially in these times of fear of terrorism, etc) dictates proper decorum when "suiting up" our vehicles, which most of us only do for a parade. We've even had ARMY and MARINE recruiters ask us to bring our vehicles to THEIR efforts to recruit ! We often have joint displays !!

We have a considerable financial investment in our vehicles, especially when we kit them up with all of the bells and whistles. We carry that financial burden and donate hours of our time (and fuel costs) to help to "make" displays and parades. I have never heard of any military branch, prior to your post, have any issue with our vehicles. Many of our members (although not all, such as myself) are veterans. When we convoy, it can raise some questions with some people, but all of the horn-honking and thumbs up from citizens seems to show the level of appreciation for our efforts.

I own a fire truck. No one thinks I am trying to be a firefighter. I make certain when I operate one of my MV's in a parade, if I wear a BDU or such, I have no insignia, or rank (I haven't earned them). Perhaps the sponsors of the parade (the town of city ?) could also contact the base commander ? Is there a local base from which arose this complaint ? I hope you follow this up and keep us informed.

And they ragged on the USO ? You have GOT to be kidding.......

Sounds like the initiator of this needs a reassignment....some wide open space somewhere (not in harms way) where they would consider themselves lucky of they even saw ANY MV....perhaps an Alaska posting ? They'd have some time to think about their issues.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Readyman,

I'll PM you later...
Who exactly called you, from where, and what exactly did they say, and what exactly was the outcome of the conversation, other than just bitching about it?

Was it HQDA, or some local recruiter that was just mad that he cant get a vehicle from a unit for recruting when you have yours thats (Im sure) much nicer? My local recruiter likes to use mine for his displays, and I am happy to help!

PM me details on who from where called you......

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
WOW I paraded mine for the first time on the 4th and I am a vet. I had goose bumps more than once in our pass through the center of town someone is a total JERK to complain.

Reading all the post I think the congress man would be a very good Idea.

Don`t let this go :evil:

Neil

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They might have been alarmed by the apparently real looking weapons on the vehicle. I have always wanted to get a ring mount for a few of my trucks. I am sure that getting a ring mount would lead to my getting a demilled or dummy m60 or 50 cal. Then, I start thinking that putting weapons on my vehicle will bring me unwanted attention. I am doing nothing that is against the law, but I don't want to HAVE to get a lawyer to prove it. Nor do I want my vehicle impounded improperly. In the end, I just don't want to be hassled so I leave the weapons off of my trucks. I am definitely not suggesting that others should follow my lead. I am only trying to point out that mounting weapons, even dummy or demilled ones, on military vehicles as civilians will bring you to the attention of the LE community and, in this case, the military. I don't need the aggravation...

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldnt go starting trouble until you know exactly who started this.. "The Army" is a big place, with LOTS of people.. Most of them might just want to complain about this, and really cant do anything about it other than complain, but if you find the few guys that can really do something about it, your going to loose, either personally, or as the hobby....

Remember, it was just ONE guy who said "gee, we should all wear black berets...." And the rest is history...

All we need is the one guy to decides he wants to take back the TOW mount, and ReadyMan is screwed.....

Hell, you find the WRONG Congressman who wants to ban surplus sales (and yes, they are out there) and you just helped him make his case..... One was quoted as saying "we should only sell items that are 50+ years old"

Tread lighty, as we dont have all the facts here......

readyman

Mark, Or worse, the HMMWV back... :(

But thanks to the discussions here in the past I think we've determined;
The military has no jurisdiction over these civilian activities.
Wearing BDU"S without insignia's, are just clothes. And my crew does not even return salutes from the crowd, just waves back.
An MV without unit numbers and civvy plates/title is just another legal vehicle.
I always ask if guns are allowed before all events, even plastic guns and dummy belted rounds. And PVC sewer pipe TOW's :)

Although I know all the details, I can't talk about em here yet. Because I didn't get it properly thru the NICMVPA club chain of command.
Preventing 'any' uniforms at future events with the NICMVPA club, to enacting Illinois 'impersonating military personnel' laws were proposed.
Fun, huh?

Attachments

readyman

OK time for a full clarification. I got the word. Everything has been cleared up.

Army Public Affairs thought Chris was active duty and he was “out of uniform”. He likes to wear his blue jeans all the time, as you can see in the pic.
The main issue was the wearing of uniforms within the context of a more modern vehicle. Which our chapter, the NICMVPA will address at the next meeting. Wonder whats going to happen with that?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Army and USMC do not wear BDU's anymore. They are obsolete for those 2 services, much the same as any WWII uniform that might of been being worn that day. I dont see a problem.

TedG

That is good news! Now I can go back to work on mine! Readyman, what other tow parts do you need if any?

Regards,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks